none
Help with conditional text RRS feed

• Question

• I need direction on the easiest way to have a master document that can include on of several paragraphs based upon a value entered at the time of printing. I'm even OK with the value being entered at the start of the document.

Unfortunately I'm really stuck on where to even begin.

Saturday, March 1, 2014 4:12 AM

Answers

• You could combine one or more ASK & IF field sets for this. For example, you might have an ASK field coded as:
    {ASK BkMk1 "What kind of fruit: Apples, Bananas or Cherries?"}
    Elsewhere in the document  you might have three IF fields coded as:
    {IF BkMk1 = "Apples" "You chose apples."} {IF BkMk1 = "Bananas" "You chose bananas."} {IF BkMk1 = "Cherries" "You chose cherries."}
    or:
    {IF BkMk1 = "Apples" "You chose apples." {IF BkMk1 = "Bananas" "You chose bananas." {IF BkMk1 = "Cherries" "You chose cherries." "You didn't choose any of the fruit on offer."}}}

To make the fields work at print time, simply ensure Word's 'update fields before printing' option is checked.

Note: The field brace pairs (ie '{ }') for the above examples are created in the document itself, via Ctrl-F9 (Cmd-F9 on a Mac); you can't simply type them or copy & paste them from this message. Nor is it practicable to add the final set via any of the standard Word dialogues.

Cheers
    Paul Edstein
    [MS MVP - Word]

Saturday, March 1, 2014 6:59 AM