Test application in WIndows Mobile Emulator RRS feed

• Question

• Hi~

I am developing a game for Windows Mobile Contest, but I am new to Windows Mobile Emulator.
    Please give me some resources on how to test the game, which was developed under Visual Studio 2005, using Windows Mobile Emulator.

I am particularly confused about the path settings and the location and organisation of the folders.
    Any samples or demonstrations?

Thank you in advance.

Cheers,
    Plus

Tuesday, September 1, 2009 9:20 AM

Answers

• Hi PlusLau,

Cab install in Device:

If you want to install your application in device. You can Connect you Device to your PC and Open it and Copy and past CAB File on specific path location in your device and now put your device and go to path location on your device and single click on the CAB  File now it will automatically installing on your Device.

Cab install in Emulator :

Connect Emulator PC through ActiveSync version 4.5 on Emulator:

using Visual Studio select Tools - > Device Emulator Manager.. --> select your opened Emulator and right click on it and select cradle.

1) Connect your Emulator using device emulator manager Right click on particular emulator like (Windows Mobile 5.0 Pocket PC Phone Emulator) and click on Connect.

2) After emulator launched then has to Cradle emulator using device emulator manager Right click on connected Emulator.

3) When you click on Cradle that time Active Sync will launch that time you have to take "standard partnership".

4) Proceed by clicking "Next" button, now you can choose to check the boxes next to synchronizing Files (if you want) otherwise unchecked and click on "Next".

5) Now you can open Emulator Explorer and Paste your Cab in pacific path and go to Emulator and single click on your cab file.

Now you can test your application after successfully installed in you Emulator.

Hope this may be Help.

If you find my post is helpful for you then mark as a answer.
    Tuesday, September 1, 2009 10:33 AM
  • Hi Plus,

You can better directly deploy the application form VS 2005 to emulator and test the application. you dont require any path settings for this

If you are expecting automated, you can check hopper tool.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/netframework/bb964490.aspx

Regards,
    Malleswar

Tuesday, September 1, 2009 9:39 AM

• Hi PlusLau

In  open VS IDE , In Solution Explorer ,  select & right click your project--> "ChangeTargetPlateform"-->"Windows Mobile 6.0.."

Let me know have any problems
    Thanks, Mohsin Shaikh.
    Friday, September 4, 2009 9:43 AM

All replies

• Hi Plus,

You can better directly deploy the application form VS 2005 to emulator and test the application. you dont require any path settings for this

Regards,
    Malleswar

Tuesday, September 1, 2009 9:39 AM
  • Hi PlusLau,

Cab install in Device:

If you want to install your application in device. You can Connect you Device to your PC and Open it and Copy and past CAB File on specific path location in your device and now put your device and go to path location on your device and single click on the CAB  File now it will automatically installing on your Device.

using Visual Studio select Tools - > Device Emulator Manager.. --> select your opened Emulator and right click on it and select cradle.

1) Connect your Emulator using device emulator manager Right click on particular emulator like (Windows Mobile 5.0 Pocket PC Phone Emulator) and click on Connect.

2) After emulator launched then has to Cradle emulator using device emulator manager Right click on connected Emulator.

3) When you click on Cradle that time Active Sync will launch that time you have to take "standard partnership".

4) Proceed by clicking "Next" button, now you can choose to check the boxes next to synchronizing Files (if you want) otherwise unchecked and click on "Next".

5) Now you can open Emulator Explorer and Paste your Cab in pacific path and go to Emulator and single click on your cab file.

Now you can test your application after successfully installed in you Emulator.

Hope this may be Help.

If you find my post is helpful for you then mark as a answer.
    Tuesday, September 1, 2009 10:33 AM
  • Hi PlusLau ,

Are you having CAB file with you ? If not then refer link below : http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/zcebx8f8(VS.80).aspx

If CAB file is with you then install (if not installed)   Windows Mobile Device Center if your computer running on Vista else install Active Sync . These are required for synchronisation with PC.

Then connect/cradle emulator How to connect OR  How To Connect

After successful connection , you can open Emulator's Explorer and Paste your Cab in pacific path go to Emulator and single click on your cab file.

NOTE : I assumed that WM emulator is already installed on your PC

Please let us know you have any concerns.

Hope this will helpful :)

Thanks, Mohsin Shaikh.
    Tuesday, September 1, 2009 11:16 AM
  • Hi Plus,

Regards,
    Malleswar

Thank you for introducing Hopper to me,
    I downloaded Hopper, but I caould not find the smartphone sample codes.
    Friday, September 4, 2009 7:29 AM
  • Hi PlusLau,

Thanks.
    I installed Windows Mobile 6 SDK, but could not find my emulator to connect.
    Friday, September 4, 2009 7:31 AM
  • Hi PlusLau ,

Are you having CAB file with you ? If not then refer link below : http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/zcebx8f8(VS.80).aspx

If CAB file is with you then install (if not installed)   Windows Mobile Device Center if your computer running on Vista else install Active Sync  . These are required for synchronisation with PC.

Then connect/cradle emulator How to connect  OR  How To Connect

After successful connection , you can open Emulator's Explorer and Paste your Cab in pacific path go to Emulator and single click on your cab file.

NOTE : I assumed that WM emulator is already installed on your PC

Please let us know you have any concerns.

Hope this will helpful :)

Thanks, Mohsin Shaikh.
    Thank you.
     I'm using Vista and have ActiveSync installed.
    I don't have CAB. While I was trying to create one, I found that Smart Device Project must be present in advance.

I would like to know, how can I convert a simple Console Application, say, HelloWorld, into CAB and to test it under Windows Mobile 6 Emulator?
    Friday, September 4, 2009 7:35 AM
  • hi PlusLau ,

You need to change your target platform  by right clicking project--> select "Change Target Platform" --> Select "Windows Mobile 6..."

Hope this will help you.
    Thanks, Mohsin Shaikh.
    Friday, September 4, 2009 7:36 AM
  • right clicking project--> select "Change Target Platform" --> Select "Windows Mobile 6..."

I couldn't find this option when I right-click....
    Oh my god...><
    Friday, September 4, 2009 9:32 AM

• Hi PlusLau

In  open VS IDE , In Solution Explorer ,  select & right click your project--> "ChangeTargetPlateform"-->"Windows Mobile 6.0.."

Let me know have any problems
    Thanks, Mohsin Shaikh.
    Friday, September 4, 2009 9:43 AM