I want external hyperlinks to open in new TABS not WINDOWS - IE9 won't cooperate! RRS feed

• Question

• I want my external links to open in new tabs, so when I am selecting the hyperlink properties I choose Target = New Window. Firefox, Chrome and Safari all open those links in new tabs. Of course, IE9 doesn't, it opens a whole new window. How do I get IE to open in a new tab not window?
    Tuesday, November 1, 2011 8:20 PM

Answers

• It's your browser settings that determine how it responds to a new window request.  The original point was to open a new window - as it says.  Only when browsers started having tabs was there an option to open new windows as tabs instead. (And, obviously, this isn't an EW question, it's an IE question, and not one under your control for your site visitors: your visitors will have their own choice made.)

Tuesday, November 1, 2011 8:50 PM
  • Don't worry about it. The user makes that choice, either by default settings or on the fly.

If I want it to open in a new tab, I'll right-click the link and choose Open in a new tab or new window myself. The general wisdom is that people hate it when you muck about with the way they browse a site.

The Dalai Lama walks into a pizza shop and asks the guy behind the counter, "Can you make me one with everything?"
    Tuesday, November 1, 2011 8:53 PM

All replies

• It's your browser settings that determine how it responds to a new window request.  The original point was to open a new window - as it says.  Only when browsers started having tabs was there an option to open new windows as tabs instead. (And, obviously, this isn't an EW question, it's an IE question, and not one under your control for your site visitors: your visitors will have their own choice made.)

Tuesday, November 1, 2011 8:50 PM
  • Don't worry about it. The user makes that choice, either by default settings or on the fly.

If I want it to open in a new tab, I'll right-click the link and choose Open in a new tab or new window myself. The general wisdom is that people hate it when you muck about with the way they browse a site.

The Dalai Lama walks into a pizza shop and asks the guy behind the counter, "Can you make me one with everything?"
    Tuesday, November 1, 2011 8:53 PM
  • Thank you Bill & Kathy for your prompt responses.

Bill, did you know, if you ctrl click on a link it will open in a new tab? I just read that a day or so ago and find it much faster.

Wednesday, November 2, 2011 12:01 PM
  • Nobody has answered this question. How do you get IE to open external hyperlinks BY DEFAULT to a new tab instead of a new window? I HATE having my hyperlinks open in new windows, and I don't want to have to ctrl-click or shift-click or anything else, I just want to CLICK and have it open in a new tab. Is there a setting like this, like there is in all other browsers? If so I can't find it.
    Friday, April 6, 2012 1:45 PM
  • No one has answered the question you are asking because that's not an EW question.

You are in the wrong forum for that.

Since I have IE9, I'll answser it:  IE9: Tools, Internet Options, Settings.  But if you have other questions about your browser, try an IE9 forum.

Friday, April 6, 2012 2:02 PM
  • In IE9 in the menu choose Tools - Internet Options, under the General tab look for Tabs then click Settings. Under "Open links from other programs in" choose "A new tab in the current window".
    Friday, April 6, 2012 2:06 PM
  • Nobody answered how to change the IE default because that isn't an EW question. Under Internet Options you can change the settigs to open all new windows in tabs in the existing instance.

Free Expression Web Tutorials
    For an Expression Web forum with without the posting issues try expressionwebforum.com

Friday, April 6, 2012 2:09 PM
  • OP - did you ever get this solved?

Saturday, February 28, 2015 12:20 AM
  • OP - did you ever get this solved?

Well don't hold your breath waiting to hear from the OP considering the post is about 4 years old. 

ClarkNK, A.K.A. HomePage Doctor
    HomePageDoctor.com -- Database Tutorials
    Ownertrades.com -- Created with Expression, VWDExress, SQL Express, and ASP.NET
    Arvixe -- My favored web host

Saturday, February 28, 2015 2:01 AM
  • In addition to the post being 4 years old, there is nothing to solve. Read the answers. It's not up to you to control your site visitors' browsers, and opening in a new tab or a new window is their choice.
    Saturday, February 28, 2015 4:59 AM
  • and scroll wheel click is even faster than that to new tab a link.
    • Edited by 5sidedcube Friday, May 29, 2015 7:10 PM
    Friday, May 29, 2015 7:10 PM
  • Please do NOT re-open 4 year old threads!  Why do that?
    Friday, May 29, 2015 8:22 PM