Powershell and WinRT Windows.* namespaces

Question

• Are the WinRT assemblies / namespaces accessible from the Powershell version on the Windows 8 Developer Preview?
    • Edited by J. Healy Friday, December 02, 2011 9:20 AM
    • Moved by Rich Prescott Thursday, December 15, 2011 10:23 PM Windows 8 Dev Pre (From:The Official Scripting Guys Forum!)
    Friday, December 02, 2011 9:20 AM

All replies

• Are the WinRT assemblies / namespaces accessible from the Powershell version on the Windows 8 Developer Preview?

Hah!  This is scripting not preview.  You would do better to ask in the beta forums.

WinRT should be available as W8 is just an extension of W7 with a new desktop.  Kind of like Windows ME but for kids and games. (of course I missed - it adds this new and, perhaps extraordinary, layer....

???WinRT is not part of PowerShell but is the commandline tool for WinRM.  It will run under DOS/CMD and PowerShell.??

Actually that is at all true.

If you are talking about this WinRT (the Technology) then here is the scoop: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/apps/hh464942(v=vs.85).aspx

jv
    • Edited by jrv Thursday, December 15, 2011 10:45 PM
    Friday, December 02, 2011 9:27 PM

ALmost all NET Frameworj k assemblies are accessible from POwerSHell with some exeptions.  I haven't looked at threading models and other issues.  Perhaps you should try soem of the C# examples as they are usually easiest to por tto POwerSHell.

WinRT promises to support 'Metro' style Apps.  I suspect that threaadin will stil be an issue but ahaven't looked at it.

Yes - 'Metro' would be very 'sexy' in PowerSHell but let us not forget that PowerShell is  management environment and not an application developement environment.

Experiment. That is what CTP and beta are for.

Log your results and report back.  Who knows  - you too can be a Guru!

jv
    • Edited by jrv Thursday, December 15, 2011 10:51 PM
    Thursday, December 15, 2011 10:50 PM