none
Changing Windows ribbon background color does not seem to work anymore in windows 10 v.1809 and newer builds. RRS feed

• Question

• It was possible with earlier windows 10 versions. Here is a code snippet that used to work with windows 7, windows 8 and windows 10 earlier versions:

IPropertyStore *spPS = NULL;

//the 'gpFw' is a valid IUIFramework pointer...

if(SUCCEEDED(gpFw->QueryInterface(__uuidof(IPropertyStore),(void **)&spPS))) {
    PROPVARIANT propvarBackground;
    UI_HSBCOLOR bg = 0x00C8000; //this should set bg color to black(ish)

InitPropVariantFromUInt32(bg, &propvarBackground);
    spPS->SetValue(UI_PKEY_GlobalBackgroundColor, propvarBackground);
    spPS->Commit();
    }

No errors but nothing is changed.

Monday, June 24, 2019 9:40 AM

All replies

• I am also running into this issue, and I see the same topic in other forums. It seems that setting UI_PKEY_GlobalTextColor still works though.

In Win 10 I have found if this value is not set, the background does not follow the OS color theme setting like Windows Explorer does and the application menu tab (File) is blue. When setting this value, it appears the application menu tab turns green, but the background does not change.

The framework does has never enabled a developer to create a "dark theme" as in Win 7 a (blinding) brightness value gradient is applied, in Win 8.1 the brightness value seems to be ignored, and now this undocumented issue with Win 10.

I find this very unaccommodating since MS is obviously still using some of the same framework binaries (uiribbon.dll) in the Windows Explorer ribbon and they make it work for themselves. I'm hoping this gets some attention, but even if we get a response, I will be surprised if it isn't that the product isn't in active development etc... even though they are using the binaries for Windows Explorer!

Monday, June 15, 2020 5:16 PM
  • No change since the issue was submitted, it's very annoying, not being able to change ribbon colors makes ribbon inconsistent with the application design.

Michael

Tuesday, July 7, 2020 8:17 AM