User Mapping RRS feed

• Question

• New administrator here. I have an application which has an admin SQL account that handles a bunch of automated tasks for the application. From time to time the users have to login with this account and do some maintenance. The things they need to do can ONLY be done with this special admin account.

The users have lost the password for this admin account. If I change reset the password I will "break" many of the functions of this application and they will be forced to reinstall the app.

Is it better for me to try to crack the password with one of the brute force crackers out there or is there a way for me to map one of the windows login users to this admin SQL user account so that they can login as themselves and be able to do what they need to do? Or perhaps there's another option I'm not aware of.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Wednesday, December 26, 2012 4:06 PM

All replies

• I guess another way of asking this question is, if I have a SQL login called sde, with all of the rights and permissions needed to do the specific application tasks/services, and I have a windows login called domain/winuser, is there not a way for me to map that windows login to the SQL login so that when domain/winuser logs in he can act as if he were sde?
    Wednesday, December 26, 2012 8:07 PM
  • It seems like you would do best in talking to the vendor how to handle the situation.

No, you cannot map an SQL login to a Windows login.

You can of course create a new login with the same permissions.

But it is not clear how this password works. Is the password engraved into the application in any form and that's why you cannot change it? When user logs in with this account, do they login through the application or through SSMS?

Erland Sommarskog, SQL Server MVP, esquel@sommarskog.se
    • Proposed as answer by Fanny Liu Monday, December 31, 2012 8:26 AM
    Wednesday, December 26, 2012 9:04 PM