What are the differences between binary formatting, binary writing RRS feed

• General discussion

• Please explain the differences between binary formatting, binary writer, stream writer and their various advantages/disadvantages. I’ve read that binary formatting is only suitable for smallish files, is this correct? At present, I'm using binary formatting and then serializing to file.

I’ve been following some tutorials that include using these to save an arraylist to file (from a small table of records) but the tutorials don’t explain the differences. When is it better to use one and not the others?

A slightly different question – is it possible to save an arraylist, textfiles and other files (like jpg’s) in a dataset – the tutorials don’t explain it nor say if it’s possible and I can’t see how to do it. If so, how do I do it? They only talk about saving datatables in a dataset – I’m writing text into a richtextbox which will be part of a record but I can’t find any reference to saving in a dataset and I’d like to scan jpg’s as part of a record and place these into a dataset.

Thanks for your help,

Regards,

Steve

Steve
    Friday, August 28, 2009 12:50 AM