none
Path to LC corrupted after installing Visual Studio Enterprise 2017

Question

• Hi All

Before I report this as a bug I just wanted to see if I'm missing anything obvious:

As standard I have been using Visual Studio 2015 Enterprise (Update 3) for a number of solutions, several of which involve component licensing so have the licenses.licx file.

After installing VS 15.0 Preview 2 these then failed to compile (is 2015) with it saying the path to LC.exe was invalid. I'm afraid I didn't note what path it pointed to instead, but if memory serves it was trying to find it under c:\windows\system32

Doing a repair on 2015 resolved this, but after installing the recently release 2017 RC (Enterprise) the same happened again.

This is on a recently installed Windows 10 Anniversary Enterprise (Version 1607. Build 14393.447)

Has anyone else had the same happen, and am I missing something obvious on my part?

Thanks in advance

Mark

Tuesday, November 22, 2016 2:28 PM

All replies

• Hi DelradieWork,

Welcome to MSDN forum.

According to your description, your issue is more related to visual studio general questions, since our forum is to talk about the installation of visual studio, I will move your thread to Visual Studio Development  >  Visual Studio General Questions for a professional support. Thank you for understanding.

Best regards,

Joyce

Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, November 23, 2016 5:33 AM
  • Hi DelradieWork,

According to your description, because VS2017 RC is not the released version, you could report this bug to VS connect or through VS Help menu (Help->Send Feedback->Report Problem).  And share a link here, then mark you reply as answer.

But I suggest we had better do the following steps before:

Please repro this issue in the second machine that has different development environment to make sure this issue could happen in two different environments. So we could repro this bug to VS connect.

If you don’t have the second environment, I suggest you could share me which control you have used in VS2015 that could generate licenses.licx file in project and which project you have created. I will try to repro your issue in my side, if I could repro your issue, I will help you repro this issue to VS connect.

Please feel free to let me know you latest results.

Sincerely,

Oscar

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Friday, November 25, 2016 3:12 AM
  • Thanks for replying Oscar

I've had the same effect on multiple machines (all windows 10 anniversary).

It doesn't seem to depend on which control is being licensed, as it seems to be the environment variable that is being used to locate the license compiler that is either not set or incorrect.

This has been reported via the VS Feedback System

Friday, November 25, 2016 10:27 AM
  • Hi DelradieWork,

Thank you for your response, would you please share a screenshot of the report here and mark it as answer, which could help others who have the same issue as yours to vote it.

Sincerely,

Oscar

MSDN Community Support

Saturday, November 26, 2016 2:54 AM
  • Thanks Oscar

I've emailed fissues to try and get my account verified so I can post the screengrab.

In the interim this is logged as "Installing Vs2017 breaks LC.exe path" 

Is there an online version of the bug reporting that I could log in to and see the status specifically of bugs I have raised, and also get actual links to include rather than screengrabbing?

Thanks

Mark

Thursday, December 01, 2016 2:37 PM
  • Hi Mark,

You could report the bug with the following link, and share a link here, which could help others, who has the same issue, to vote and comment it.

https://connect.microsoft.com/visualstudio

Sincerely,

Oscar

MSDN Community Support

Friday, December 02, 2016 2:11 AM