none
Unable to change the Microsoft account associated with msdn subscription RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I'm trying to switch the Microsoft account associated with our MSDN subscription.  Using the option "Change Microsoft Account for this subscription" results in getting an error message on the third step.  Initially I contacted the subscription support email, they directed me towards the MS Account forms, and they directed me here... Hopefully I'm in the right place :-)

Here is a copy of my posting with all the details from the MS Accounts site (http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windowslive/forum/liveid-profile/unable-to-change-the-microsoft-account-associated/ad09bc51-601f-4cab-886e-ad96eced8a0c):

Summary:
    I have an existing MSDN subscription attached to a old Microsoft account using an @msn.com address.  I have created a new Microsoft account using an email address belonging to our organization.  When I attempt to change the Micrsoft account associated with the MSDN subscription from the old account to the new account it fails with an error message and a reference number.

Details:
    Logging into MSDN with the old Microsoft account (@msn.com), accessing account details, accessing subscription benefits all works as it always has.
    Logging into the newly created Microsoft account (@enterprise.com) works.
    Logging into MSDN with newly created Micrsoft account works an shows the following message as expected: "We can't find any MSDN Subscriptions that are linked to your current Microsoft Account. If you have your subscription details (Subscriber ID or Benefit Access Number, name, and email) then you can activate your account to start using your subscription benefits."
    To change the Microsoft account associated with a MSDN subscription:
    Under "My Account" there is the option to "Change Microsoft Account for this subscription" which starts a 3 step process:
    Step 1, "Choose a temporary passphrase" - works
    Step 2, "Log in with your new Microsoft Account" - works (@enterpise.com)
    Step 3, "Enter your passphrase" window pops up on login.  Enter the passphrase from above, click Finish. Get error message.
    The error message given consistently is:
    "An unknown error has occurred and administrator has been notified of the exception.
    Reference Id: F78CA237
    This error has been logged with the reference number noted above. Please use this reference number if you contact support."

Where the Reference Id changes with each attempt.

Thinking that this was a issue specifically related to the MSDN subscriptions site I email their support first.  Unfortunately I received the following reply which is why I'm trying here:
    "Thank you for contacting Microsoft in regards to changing the Microsoft account associated with your subscription.
    It is my understanding that you are attempting to associate a new Microsoft account with your existing MSDN subscription and are receiving an error message before completing the process.
    I apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused you.
    The department you have reached is the MSDN Subscription Services for North America. We assist customers in managing their subscription benefits and in accessing their benefits.
    Support for Microsoft accounts is available online. You can gain assistance with your account by visiting the website provided below.
    MSDN Subscriptions Team
    E-mail: *** Email address is removed for privacy ***
    "

Any help or suggestions on why the process is not working and how to fix it would be appreciated.

If subscription/account details are needed I can email them to the Site Feedback address (or other appropriate one) but I figured I should post first.

Cheers.

Monday, January 21, 2013 10:21 PM

Answers

• Interesting issue.  I just tried to bounce a test subscription back and forth between two Microsoft Accounts and it worked for me...  I'm also a bit surprised that the customer service team bounced you to the forums rather than having you try the second method of switching your Subscription (or perhaps they did and you didn't mention it?).

Can you try the following:

1) Visit the My Account page with your @msn.com Microsoft account and note your Subscriber ID, the email address listed, and your first and last name as listed.  (this info is also included in the 'view support info' popup)
    2) Sign out, and then re-visit the My Account page and log in your @enterprise.com Microsoft Account
    3) click on "activate your account" 
    4) enter the information gathered in step 1.  Make sure you enter the email address as you it found there, and don't enter the email address of the @enterprise.com Microsoft Account (unless thats what was listed in step 1!)
    5) you'll get prompted that this subscription is associated to another live ID, which it is, so accept the prompt to move it to your @enterprise.com Microsoft Account.

You should be good to go at this point.  If you're not, rather than bounce you to another team, I'll have you reach out to me directly and I'll see if I can get to the bottom of this.  We've had one more report of this recently and it was occuring because the customer's subscription had expired 9 years ago. 

Reach out to me directly by visiting http://msdn.microsoft.com/subscriptions and click on 'site feedback' at the bottom.  You can reference this thread and please share your Subscriber ID with me in that form.

Thanks,
    Mike

MSDN and TechNet Subscriptions Support
    Read the Subscriptions Blog!

• Proposed as answer by Mike KinsmanModerator Wednesday, January 23, 2013 3:18 PM
    • Marked as answer by CmpSci Monday, June 17, 2013 8:35 PM
    Tuesday, January 22, 2013 3:39 PM

All replies

• Interesting issue.  I just tried to bounce a test subscription back and forth between two Microsoft Accounts and it worked for me...  I'm also a bit surprised that the customer service team bounced you to the forums rather than having you try the second method of switching your Subscription (or perhaps they did and you didn't mention it?).

Can you try the following:

1) Visit the My Account page with your @msn.com Microsoft account and note your Subscriber ID, the email address listed, and your first and last name as listed.  (this info is also included in the 'view support info' popup)
    2) Sign out, and then re-visit the My Account page and log in your @enterprise.com Microsoft Account
    3) click on "activate your account" 
    4) enter the information gathered in step 1.  Make sure you enter the email address as you it found there, and don't enter the email address of the @enterprise.com Microsoft Account (unless thats what was listed in step 1!)
    5) you'll get prompted that this subscription is associated to another live ID, which it is, so accept the prompt to move it to your @enterprise.com Microsoft Account.

You should be good to go at this point.  If you're not, rather than bounce you to another team, I'll have you reach out to me directly and I'll see if I can get to the bottom of this.  We've had one more report of this recently and it was occuring because the customer's subscription had expired 9 years ago. 

Reach out to me directly by visiting http://msdn.microsoft.com/subscriptions and click on 'site feedback' at the bottom.  You can reference this thread and please share your Subscriber ID with me in that form.

Thanks,
    Mike

MSDN and TechNet Subscriptions Support
    Read the Subscriptions Blog!

• Proposed as answer by Mike KinsmanModerator Wednesday, January 23, 2013 3:18 PM
    • Marked as answer by CmpSci Monday, June 17, 2013 8:35 PM
    Tuesday, January 22, 2013 3:39 PM
  • A very late follow up on this thread... I'm finally getting back to following up on this issue.

Mike: thanks for your help!  The instructions you give above in the 5 steps worked like a dream.  The account transferred over with out error.  I did note that when I logged back in using the original live ID (the @msn.com) that the subscription is still listed under My subscriptions.  I'm guessing this will be updated over the next 24 hours or so.

Monday, June 17, 2013 8:40 PM