none
Emulator RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I built an OS (Virtual PC : x86). Now I want to add a SDK including an Emulator, but I can't change anything in the Emulation tab.

The MSDN help told me to add a run-time image. So I had tried to do so but I'm not sure if it worked out. I right-clicked the OS project in the project map choosing "Make run-time image". The output says it was succesfull without errors.

Unfortunatelly I still can't change Emulation settings for the SDK...

I'm thankful for any help :-),

Marcel

Monday, November 22, 2010 1:13 PM

All replies

• On 11/22/2010 2:13 PM, Max64 wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > I built an OS (Virtual PC : x86). Now I want to add a SDK including an
    > Emulator, but I can't change anything in the Emulation tab.
    >
    > The MSDN help told me to add a run-time image. So I had tried to do so
    > but I'm not sure if it worked out. I right-clicked the OS project in the
    > project map choosing "Make run-time image". The output says it was
    > succesfull without errors.
    >
    > Unfortunatelly I still can't change Emulation settings for the SDK...
    >
    > I'm thankful for any help :-),
    >
    > Marcel

You should add the Emulator BSP to your OS Design and build a release
    image for it (remember to remove KITL from the build options or the
    image will not start without PB), then you'll be able to add emulation
    support to the generated SDK.

Valter Minute
    Windows Embedded MVP
    http://geekswithblogs.net/WindowsEmbeddedCookbook
    Wednesday, November 24, 2010 10:38 AM
  • Unfortunatelly I don't have the option to add an Emulator BSP to my OS Design. It seems like it is not supported anymore...
    Thursday, November 25, 2010 10:13 AM
  • You didn't say what version of Windows CE you're talking about, but there's usually a subclass of items in the catalog called BSPs or something like that and the emulator should be included, if you installed support for the necessary processor(s) to support it when you installed Windows CE.  You should be able to add that BSP to your OS configuration, set it as the current build (RETAIL, Emulator), build it, and then return to the SDK configuration and set up the SDK to have the emulation.

Paul T.

Monday, November 29, 2010 3:26 PM
  • Hi,

I'm using Windows Embedded Compact 7 (CTP). I don't find any subclass of Virtual PC concerning an Emulator.

Probably in Windows Embedded Compact 7 the user should use the Virtual PC for debugging?! But how is it working?

Max

Tuesday, December 7, 2010 8:44 AM
  • If you need further information on how to set up a Virtual CEPC, see these two Windows Embedded Compact 7 white papers:

Getting Started With Virtual CEPC (http://www.microsoft.com/windowsembedded/en-us/develop/Getting-Started-with-Virtual-CEPC.aspx)

Advanced Virtual CEPC (http://www.microsoft.com/windowsembedded/en-us/develop/advanced-virtual-cepc.aspx)

Wendy

Friday, October 21, 2011 1:06 AM