Context Sensitive Help Isn't RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,
    I'm using VS 2005 8.0.50727.42
    I am editing C/C++ code and highlight any function from the CLR.
    i.e. "remove"

Intellisense correctly identifies the matching function declarations from stdio.h

But if I press F1 I get directed to hundreds of pages of C#/Web development/SQL help. I really just want a "man page" for the function. I've tried disabling all the non-C/C++ options on the search page options but all the unrelated help is still shown.

Any ideas on how to restrict help to only the CLR help pages?
    Thanks,
    Steve

Monday, July 31, 2006 7:43 PM

Answers

• Hi Steve - I'm not sure what's going on with that. There appears to be a problem with how this is resolving when using Online F1 help. I will ask someone to check into that. In the meantime, if you are willing to switch to Local help as your F1 preference that should resolve the issue for you. To do that you would need to do the following:

1) Select Tools | Options from the main menu in the help viewer or in the VS IDE.

2a) If doing this from the help viewer, select the Help | Online settings and then select "Try local first, then online" from the "When loading Help content" option

or

2b) If doing this from the IDE, select the Environment | Help | Online settings and do the same as 2a).

3) click OK

For this to work, you will need to have installed the MSDN library content that shipped with Visual Studio 2005. Now when you press F1 on remove from the C++ editor you should get the topic for "remove, _wremove" from the Run-Time Library Reference with the following local URL:

ms-help://MS.VSCC.v80/MS.MSDN.v80/MS.VisualStudio.v80.en/dv_vccrt/html/b6345ec3-3289-4645-93a4-28b9e478cc19.htm

Monday, July 31, 2006 11:38 PM

All replies

• Hi Steve - I'm not sure what's going on with that. There appears to be a problem with how this is resolving when using Online F1 help. I will ask someone to check into that. In the meantime, if you are willing to switch to Local help as your F1 preference that should resolve the issue for you. To do that you would need to do the following:

1) Select Tools | Options from the main menu in the help viewer or in the VS IDE.

2a) If doing this from the help viewer, select the Help | Online settings and then select "Try local first, then online" from the "When loading Help content" option

or

2b) If doing this from the IDE, select the Environment | Help | Online settings and do the same as 2a).

3) click OK

For this to work, you will need to have installed the MSDN library content that shipped with Visual Studio 2005. Now when you press F1 on remove from the C++ editor you should get the topic for "remove, _wremove" from the Run-Time Library Reference with the following local URL:

ms-help://MS.VSCC.v80/MS.MSDN.v80/MS.VisualStudio.v80.en/dv_vccrt/html/b6345ec3-3289-4645-93a4-28b9e478cc19.htm

Monday, July 31, 2006 11:38 PM
  • Paul,

Thank you for your reply. I guess this raises two questions:

1. We have a site license for MSDN 2005 and Visual Studio. Can you point me to reference for how to configure my Visual Studio to use a network install of MSDN so it will be considered local?

2. When I do the search in the Search tab of Document Explorer for remove
    with these filters:
    Language: C++
    Technology: C++ Libraries (Native)
    Content Type: Documentation & Articles, Intellisense Code Snippets, Knowledge Base

I get these as the first matches from MSDN Online :
    http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/3h444kba(d=ide).aspx
    http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/218yba97(d=ide).aspx
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/fox7help/html/lngremove_method.asp
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/vbaac11/html/acmthRemove_HV03084643.asp

Scanning through the first 100 matches doesn't show any C/C++ matches at all. This seems to be a problem in the interaction between Document Explorer and the MSDN server.

Can you do this search and see if you get these unfiltered matches?
    Thanks,
    Steve

Tuesday, August 1, 2006 2:56 PM
  • Hi,
    Just an update. I wasn't able to find how to do a network install of MSDN, but after the local install with the config you describe above I do find the expected match for "remove" locally. It would be nice to not have to copy 1Gb of data locally to do the query, but "disk is cheap".

Thanks,
    Steve

Tuesday, August 1, 2006 3:25 PM
  • Hi Steve - I indeed get the same search results you mention. - not good.

I will ask someone to chime in here about MSDN Network installs.

Tuesday, August 1, 2006 6:58 PM
  • Hi Steve,

Unfortunately in MSDN library for Visual Studio you will have to install the documentation on local drive.  If disk space is an issue, you can perform minimum installation.  "Minimum" (option in install type dialog box) installation will only install the documentation for Visual Studio 2005.  You can also select "custom" installation and then from the feature tree you can select to install the documentation you need. 

Let me know if you have any further questions. 

Thanks

Wednesday, August 2, 2006 7:31 AM