Do you spend huge time in searching the results by finding that most of them are useless?

General discussion

• When I develop an application, I always search the internet/forum/ to find help when encountering problems. The need for win8 metro is particularly high because its language is not standard. And its grammar context is designed in the manner that is far beyond self-understanding. Furthermore, because it supports so many languages, seldom can I find the results that I want. and as the result, it usually makes me to spend a lot of time in reading un-helpful help file. Even MS's official help files are full of errors and non-completeness which makes me waste tons of time until realizing it non-correctness or useless. 

I noticed that there are still only a few applications in the store. I guess it is not because developers are not willing to develop for win8 metro, but because its whole structure has been preventing developers from doing so.

shenzy

Friday, November 16, 2012 8:13 AM

All replies

• I am also worrying about the possibility that Visual Studio 2012 will be replaced by 2013 by being introduced a lot of non-compatible stuffs, as happened before repeatedly, will ruin my time and energy being input to it now! What a sad picture!

shenzy

Friday, November 16, 2012 8:43 AM
  • It can be a little frustrating at times, but it is early days and most of it seems to be there.  Whenever I come to a new platform (including this one) I have to fight the urge to immediately 'get stuff done' and sit back and understand a bit more first, otherwise I start getting pretty annoyed too.  I can just about get by with the strange C++ dialect (although not keen on any code which won't work cross platform), but the jury's out on these asynchronous functions .. to me they seem too finely grained to fit 'real world' asynchronous tasks.

With regards to Visual Studio, I've always found it the one true beacon of light and stability.  Every time a new version comes a long I think 'oh no what now', and then after an hour of using it I find out it's just like the old one, but a bit better.  Contrast this with the scatter gun car crash that is Xcode - updated every month, always vaguely broken and features change so often you're never sure of yourself when you go to use it.  So thanks VS team, keep it up!

Friday, November 16, 2012 11:56 AM