Use of TPL dataflow with WF RRS feed

• Question

• Hi, I'm relatively new to WF so pardon a possibly newbie sounding question.

I'm currently developing a framework based upon TPL dataflow, a Microsoft framework that allows you to chain blocks of logic together that perform various responsibilities - for example transforming data, broadcasting data between blocks, persisting data, etc.

This type of workflow - a data flow - differs a little from the classical idea of a WF workflow, which instead focuses on modelling activity blocks which are linked together by in/out arguments and whose order of execution is determined by control flow containers - for example sequences or flow charts. Unlike TPL dataflow, it is based upon a STA thread or synchronization context and so doesn't necessarily lend itself to parallel dataflow processing.

However the two concepts are not miles apart. What I'm trying to understand is how the two might interoperate with each other most eloquently.

For example, you could use TPL dataflow to create a dataflow model; and this could then become the input of an activity in a WF workflow via for example a REST interface.

It's a long shot, but does anything have any experience of using TPL dataflow to process data, and how a dataflow model might be plugged in to a WF model?

Monday, July 3, 2017 7:36 PM

All replies

• Hi Markos101,

you had mentioned that,"anything have any experience of using TPL dataflow to process data"

I am not sure but you can try to use pipeline with the TPL dataflow.

A dataflow pipeline is a series of components, or dataflow blocks, each of which performs a specific task that contributes to a larger goal. Every dataflow block in a dataflow pipeline performs work when it receives a message from another dataflow block. An analogy to this is an assembly line for automobile manufacturing. As each vehicle passes through the assembly line, one station assembles the frame, the next one installs the engine, and so on. Because an assembly line enables multiple vehicles to be assembled at the same time, it provides better throughput than assembling complete vehicles one at a time.

Reference:

Walkthrough: Creating a Dataflow Pipeline

Building a data processing pipeline with the TPL dataflow

Regards

Deepak

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, August 2, 2017 6:07 AM