How to update one page after publish application? RRS feed

• Question

• User546194788 posted

There are about 10 pages in one application.

After publishing application to web server how to update only one page, including aspx and vb without re-publish?

Wednesday, March 6, 2019 12:30 PM

All replies

• User475983607 posted

There are about 10 pages in one application.

After publishing application to web server how to update only one page, including aspx and vb without re-publish?

Depends on what you consider publishing.  The common method is moving files from one machine (dev) to another.  This is called publishing.  If this is a Web Application, then you must move the application DLL and the markup (aspx) if the markup has changed.  If this is a Web Site then you need to move the VB and ASPX page.

Wednesday, March 6, 2019 12:36 PM
  • User546194788 posted

For example, in web server, I saw default.aspx file but did not see default.aspx.vb file.

What I saw is under bin folder, there is file like below. 

default.aspx.cdcab7d2.compiled

Wednesday, March 6, 2019 12:43 PM
  • User475983607 posted

aspfun

For example, in web server, I saw default.aspx file but did not see default.aspx.vb file.

What I saw is under bin folder, there is file like below. 

default.aspx.cdcab7d2.compiled

A Web Site project requires both the ASPX and VB file.  The file might be precomplied?  The code behind can exist with the markup in a single file too.

A Web Application requires a DLL which is all the VB files and the ASPX page.

We cannot see what kind of application you have...

https://stackoverflow.com/questions/8694922/whats-the-difference-between-a-web-site-and-a-web-application

Precompiling

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/aspnet/web-forms/overview/older-versions-getting-started/deploying-web-site-projects/precompiling-your-website-cs

Wednesday, March 6, 2019 12:49 PM
  • User-1174608757 posted

Hi aspfun,

According to your description, I think you have to republish the web application.

In fact ,when you publish a web application which has aspx and aspx.cs files, if you  edit  aspx file, like html code in it , you could directly copy the aspx file to server and replace the original file, server will show the new aspx you replaced. However, if the file you want edit is aspx.cs or vb, you couldn't find them because these  file of code behind  has been compiled into a dll file after it has been published.Else ,you couldn't edit dll file ,because one dll file may contain message about multiply aspx pages.

Best Regards

Wei Zhang

Thursday, March 7, 2019 3:06 AM