Exchange 2013 installation RRS feed

• Question

• Im going to upgrade an Exchange 2010 to Exchange 2013 for one of my customers. I going to use the same hardware, so my plan is to export all the mailboxes to pst files, then uninstall Exchange 2010 and then do a complete new installation of the server (Windows 2012 + Exchange 2013).

My concern is if its really as easy as it sounds or if there will be some old stuff in AD which will prevent me from installing 2013.

Jørgen Olesen

Wednesday, August 20, 2014 11:34 AM

Answers

• After reading alot of articles I realized that I could end up with alot of problems if I tried to follow my original plan.

So I did an upgrade right after the book; installed a new 2013 as VM (on new hardware) and migrated the server. I only had a few problems with the certificate and the public folders, but they where solved after a little research. The only "real problem" was that it took nearly 30 hours to migrate the mail boxes, but the users were not affected so it didn't matter.

Jørgen Olesen

• Marked as answer by Jørgen Olesen Wednesday, September 3, 2014 8:49 AM
    Wednesday, September 3, 2014 8:49 AM

All replies

• Hi

You can do that but that will require large amounts of downtime and cleanup.

You can always create a VM and install Exchange 2013 and run coexistence provided you have extra hardware.

Wednesday, August 20, 2014 11:44 AM
  • Agree with Ed.

If you are in lack of hardware I would have recommended you to convert hardware to VM (VHD/VHDx), But in case of exchange it is a bad practice and may result in warning/errors.

If you want you can try convert hardware to VHD/VHDx (after stopping the exchange services) and host the VM in a temporary hardware and install exchange2013 in your current exchange2010 hardware and move mailboxes. 
    once I converted Exchange2010 hardware box to VM using Systinternals Disk2VHD and it worked. It was a client requirement. 

Thanks,
    MAS
    Please mark as helpful if you find my comment helpful or as an answer if it does answer your question. That will encourage me - and others - to take time out to help you.

Wednesday, August 20, 2014 2:22 PM
  • The downtime is no problem, and I would preferre to do it this way, unless it is absolutely impossible. Its a relativ small installation with only 20 mailboxes, so I expect to do it within a day.

What kind of cleanup do I have do do? Is there any guides available about what to clean up?

To go the VM way, I will need extra hardware and licenses which I don't have.

Jørgen Olesen

Thursday, August 21, 2014 6:54 AM
  • Hi Jørgen,

as mentioned above it is not a best practise way to do it,co-existing would be the best way to do it.

Install 2013 with cas and mailbox then movemailbox over before you decomission the old Exchange server.Anyway here is a good guide on how to decomission old exchange server:

http://exchangeserverpro.com/exchange-server-2010-2013-migration-removing-legacy-servers/

Other stuff to add is point Internal and External DNS entry and mx record to the new server.Also renew the cert.

Here is a guide i made on how to setup Exchange 2013:

http://gallery.technet.microsoft.com/Install-Exchange-server-b5cce9e4

Hope this helped

Please mark as helpful if you find my contribution useful or as an answer if it does answer your question. That will encourage me - and others - to take time out to help you. Thank you! Off2work

Thursday, August 21, 2014 8:21 PM
  • After reading alot of articles I realized that I could end up with alot of problems if I tried to follow my original plan.

So I did an upgrade right after the book; installed a new 2013 as VM (on new hardware) and migrated the server. I only had a few problems with the certificate and the public folders, but they where solved after a little research. The only "real problem" was that it took nearly 30 hours to migrate the mail boxes, but the users were not affected so it didn't matter.

Jørgen Olesen

• Marked as answer by Jørgen Olesen Wednesday, September 3, 2014 8:49 AM
    Wednesday, September 3, 2014 8:49 AM