none
Expression Web 4 CONSTANTLY CRASHING RRS feed

• Question

• I upgraded from version 3 to 4 about 1 year ago.

Version 4 constantly crashes - at least once a week. 

I've re-installed the complete program - to no avail.

I like the program, but will switch to Adobe Dreamweaver if I can't resolve this problem.

Any Suggestions??????

Tuesday, November 9, 2010 3:04 PM

All replies

• So switch to Adobe, many of us use both anyway. Did you notice the "social" in the url of this forum? It is a user to user forum. Bugs get filed over at http://connect.microsoft.com under the Expression Studio feedback group but I doubt threats there would be any more useful than threats here to change applications. MS customer support might be more motivated by such threats but dev teams are usually more interested in bugs than threats.

My suggestion would be for you to spend some time with the Installatiion sticky which includes common causes for not only install failures but also for crashing. You may also want to search the forum because there have been quite a few threads by people who come in blasting EW for crashing or some bug or another that occurs on their system and not on others.

Even if someone wanted to help you there is absolutely nothing in your post that would help someone to do so. You don't say what OS you have, what you maybe doing when your install crashes, no error or crash log.  The folks who have solved their crashing issues have provided that information since the issue tends to be a corrupt dll (and no reinstalling doens't necessarily over write a bad dll, especially if it is one in the video, dotnet or wpf system and not directly in EW.)

MS MVP Expression Tutorials & Help http://by-expression.com & Expression Web forums
    Tuesday, November 9, 2010 3:50 PM
  • A couple of things to check:

For EW 4, you need to install .NET 4.0 first.  I'm sure you've done that but perhaps something was corrupted - can easily happen.

Other things to check are that your video drivers are updated and other hardware also - the crash may not be caused solely by EW but a combination of things

I wouldn't say Dreamweaver is any less likely to crash than EW.

As Cheryl says, we can't troubleshoot without knowing the problem - can you provide the crash log of the incident(s)? Please provide your system information - most particularly Operating System version,and the Installation Issues sticky may provide you a pointer to narrowing the problem.

Andrew M

http://www.murraywebs.com

"Nothing spoils numbers faster than arithmetic!"
    -- Peppermint Patty (Peanuts, Charles M. Schulz)
    Tuesday, November 9, 2010 11:09 PM
  • I have EW4 and have experienced a rare crash or two. I have Dreamweaver Cs5 and have never experienced a crash with it. I tend to like EW a bit more in general but it seems like a less mature product and has gone through a rough phase with the advent of version 3 which I would not even consider as a viable version any more. V4 is a vast improvement in stabillity and less bugy in my experience.

People on the DW boards have reported crashing too so its not safe to draw conclusions in view of all the possible causes, but I think EW has had less all weather testing in the wild since Dreamweaver is the dominant product by orders of magnitude and the DW developers probably have a great deal more mileage with which to get experience and bugs fixed.

After following Andrews advice above and if you cant get it worked out and if you have the money then having DW will if anything get your tools well rounded and you will get another level of experience and terminology that I think anyone should find helpfull, and as Cheryl says lots of people use both to compliment each other.

Wednesday, November 10, 2010 12:14 AM