ScrollViewers: Touch vs Non-Touch

Question

• I have noticed something that seems to happen with ScrollViewers. Usually, with most controls, sliding your finger and moving the mouse with the button pressed will do the same thing. But from what I have seen, that is not true with ScrollViewers. I have noticed that the sliding your finger method works with ScrollViewers, but the mouse does not. The scrollwheel on the mouse seems to usually work (although that obviously cannot be compared to touch). Because scrollbars are generally not shown in ScrollViewers (at least not without a little extra effort), scrolling with the mouse (especially when there is scrolling both vertically and horizontally) can be hard (and less intuitive). I would like to be able to scroll with the mouse the same way I do with touch, but I am not sure how I would do that (at least not without handling all the events manually, which would be more effort than it should be, and would probably just cause more problems). What is the best way to allow scrolling with touch and mouse? Thanks.

Nathan Sokalski njsokalski@hotmail.com http://www.nathansokalski.com/

Thursday, October 2, 2014 5:27 PM

All replies

• So... you want to modify the standard behavior of scrollviewer for your app?  Don't the scrollbars appear when you go to the area of the scrollviewer?  That's the standard behavior.

Matt Small - Microsoft Escalation Engineer - Forum Moderator
    If my reply answers your question, please mark this post as answered.

NOTE: If I ask for code, please provide something that I can drop directly into a project and run (including XAML), or an actual application project. I'm trying to help a lot of people, so I don't have time to figure out weird snippets with undefined objects and unknown namespaces.

Friday, October 3, 2014 1:37 PM
  • That's not necessarily what I'm saying. I'm just saying I want users to have an easy way to scroll regardless of whether or not they are using touch. Yes, the scrollbars do appear (at least until you stop moving the mouse), but they ruin the look of my app, since I have 3 synchronized ScrollViewers, and I want the scrollbar to appear in the same place for all 3. I also think that the colors of my app make the scrollbar less noticeable, therefore possibly confusing users. Also, I think when using my app users will not want to need to be required to put a lot of effort into the precision of their cursor (my app is for scorekeeping, so they want to just get it to the right place quickly). I want the scrolling to be consistent between touch and mouse, but still be quick and little effort. If I do end up being required to use scrollbars, I guess I'll be required to do that, but I think that the drag approach should be an option for ScrollViewers. Thanks.

Nathan Sokalski njsokalski@hotmail.com http://www.nathansokalski.com/

Friday, October 3, 2014 3:16 PM