none
Slow loading on some machines RRS feed

• Question

• I have a small .NET desktop program that is very slow to load on some machines.  Using process monitor I can see a delay of 10-15 seconds between a Close file on riched20.dll and the next event, close file on C:\Windows\WinSxS\X86_MOCROSOFT.WINDOWS.COMMON-CONTROL_659B64144CCF_6.0.2600.5512_X-WW_35D4CE83.  This is on the customer XP machine.  On my Vista machine I never see the second item.  I have tried this on other XP machines in my office and none of them have the delay between the two events.  On the customer machine this sequence happens up to 8 times during the program load so the delay is substantial.

This delay only presents itself on 2 out of about 70 customer installs.  Any ideas on why this is happening and more importantly, how to fix it?

Thanks,
    Tony
    Wednesday, January 21, 2009 5:12 PM

All replies

• Start by disabling the legitimate shrink-wrapped malware.  Virus scanners always get way too excited when processes open files, especially executable ones.
    Hans Passant.
    Thursday, January 22, 2009 1:14 AM
  • Thank you for the reply.  That is the first thing I tried and it made no difference.

Tony
    Thursday, January 22, 2009 5:18 PM