none
How to INSTALL .NET 2.0 with .NET 3.5 already installed? (Bypassing Version Check?) RRS feed

• Question

• How to INSTALL .NET 2.0 with .NET 3.5 already installed?
    It says the component is already installed when I tried to install the dotnetfx.exe downloaded from Microsoft

1) What is the solution so I can install .NET 2.0?
    2) Can I uninstall 3.5 and then install 2.0? (BUT my windows (Vista 32bit) only have 1.0 & 1.1 and 3.5 installed, I afraid without 3.5 it will crash my com.

The reason I want to instlal 2.0 is because I cannnot run a .exe program which crash at startup. The program stated .NET 2.0 is needed, although with 3.5 installed I know sometimes 2.0 features is not covered all in 3.5, may be I'm wrong.

I appreciate all your help, after hours searching I'm almost fainted! Thanks and thank again.
    Friday, October 16, 2009 5:15 AM

Answers

• Hi J.Boyle,

Thank you for your post.

The reason why you cannot remove .NET 2.0 and 3.0 on Vista is that .NET 2.0 and 3.0 are shipped with Vista as OS components.

Firstly, .NET Framework 3.5 installation includes .NET Framework 2.0 and 3.0 as prerequisite. Thus, if you have install .NET 3.5, you don't need to install .NET 2.0 separately.

Secondly, Verification Tool can verify the installation status of .NET Framework with SP1 instead of service pack only.

When using the verification tool, there has 3 choices which is 2.0 SP2, 3.0 SP2 and 3.5 SP1.   (All of them success verified)
    Is this mean .NET framwork isn't the problem which causing I cannot open the .exe file?

Based on your description, it seems that .NET 2.0 + SP2, .NET 3.0 + SP2 and .NET 3.5 + SP1 can be well verified on your machine. It means that these .NET Frameworks are installed successfully on your machine. So we could isolate the possible cause of .NET Framework.

P/S: The .exe program need a license key to activate (enter and activated when it first start up but cannot see the user interface after that)and the program need to access into IE browser in order to do it real jobs. Very sorry If I'm asking this question(if it is not related to .NET) in the wrong place. :(

I suspect that your issue could be related to the program itself. You might contact the support of the program for more useful help. :)

Hope this helps. If you have any concern, please feel free to let me know.

Have a good week!

Best regards,
    Yichun Chen
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    Welcome to the All-In-One Code Framework! If you have any feedback, please tell us.
    • Marked as answer by YiChun Chen Tuesday, October 20, 2009 5:21 AM
    Monday, October 19, 2009 6:09 AM
  • Hi

Accd to u "When using the verification tool, there has 3 choices which is 2.0 SP2, 3.0 SP2 and 3.5 SP1.   (All of them success verified)"
    This doesn't display .Net Framework 3.5 exe ,.Net Framework 3.0 exe ,.Net Framework 2.0 exe .
    Only Service Packs are present on your system

There is difference between .Net Framework 3.5 SP1 and .Net Framework 3.5
    SP1 is service pack 1
    . A service pack (in short SP) is a collection of updates, fixes and/or enhancements to a software program delivered in the form of a single installable package

.Net Framework 3.5  is .Net Framework version 3.5 :-
    The Microsoft .NET Framework is a software framework that can be installed on computers running Microsoft Windows operating systems. It includes a large library of coded solutions to common programming problems and a virtual machine that manages the execution of programs written specifically for the framework. The .NET Framework is a Microsoft offering and is intended to be used by most new applications created for the Windows platform.

So no .NET Frameworks are not verified, try Cleanup Tool at( http://blogs.msdn.com/astebner/pages/8904493.aspx)  to remove .NET 2.0SP2, 3.0 SP2 and 3.5SP1 and
    Install 3.5 Framework From here

.Net framework 3.5 Full Redistributable Package

To download the full redistributable package, rather than the bootstrapper, click on the link below to start the download:

http://download.microsoft.com/download/6/0/f/60fc5854-3cb8-4892-b6db-bd4f42510f28/dotnetfx35.exe

2) Then Install .NET Framework 3.5 SP1.

Also Check whether u have Windows Installer for .Net Exe to Install
    http://www.microsoft.com/DownLoads/details.aspx?familyid=889482FC-5F56-4A38-B838-DE776FD4138C&displaylang=en

Refer this links for downloads
    http://repairdotnetframeworks.wordpress.com/2009/09/24/download_dotnetframeworks-3-5/

Thanks
    anliS

Best Regards,
    anliS
    BIC
    Please remember to mark the correct replies as answers
    • Marked as answer by J.Boyle Tuesday, October 20, 2009 5:15 AM
    Friday, October 16, 2009 8:43 AM
  • Hi J.Boyle,

Thank you for your reply.

For your concern, re-installation of OS could resolve your problem. However, before you decide to format your OS, for one quicker way, you would try to repair OS or restore the OS configuration to an earlier point. Here is a KB about this, please see: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/936212/

If no avail, you could try posting this issue on Technet - Windows Vista Setup forum to get more useful help related to Vista there.

Hope this helps. Have a good week! :)

Best regards,
    Yichun Chen
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    Welcome to the All-In-One Code Framework! If you have any feedback, please tell us.
    • Edited by YiChun Chen Tuesday, October 20, 2009 5:00 AM typo
    Tuesday, October 20, 2009 4:56 AM

All replies

• hi

I need this info from u

1.Which .Net Framework and Service Packs Exist on your system ?
    2.Post the Exact Error Message that u r getting

Refer This Link for .Net 3.5 Issues
    http://download.microsoft.com/download/9/a/e/9ae0f6cc-7032-408e-9ca7-989f9e4af4ec/dotNetReadMe.htm

Specially this Part

---------------------------------------------------------------

2.1.2. Installing .NET Framework 2.0 or .NET Framework 3.0 stand-alone ENU language package MSU (shipped on media) but the .NET Framework 2.0 or .NET Framework 3.0 language package is already installed.

When one of the following files is being installed, a message, "the following updates were not installed" is displayed.

WCU\dotNetFramework\dotNetMSP\x64\NetFX2.0-KB936704-v6000-x64_RTM_en.msu
    WCU\dotNetFramework\dotNetMSP\x64\NetFX3.0-KB936705-v6000-x64_RTM_en.msu
    WCU\dotNetFramework\dotNetMSP\x86\NetFX2.0-KB936704-v6000-x86_RTM_en.msu
    WCU\dotNetFramework\dotNetMSP\x86\NetFX3.0-KB936705-v6000-x86_RTM_en.msu

This happens because the corresponding .NET Framework 2.0 or .NET Framework 3.0 En-US language package is already installed.

To resolve this issue:

Install .NET Framework 3.5 by using the installation instructions on http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=96339.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Is this What u r getting ?

.Net Framework 3.5 
    The Microsoft .NET Framework is a software framework that can be installed on computers running Microsoft Windows operating systems. It includes a large library of coded solutions to common programming problems and a virtual machine that manages the execution of programs written specifically for the framework. The .NET Framework is a Microsoft offering and is intended to be used by most new applications created for the Windows platform.

Use Verification Tool ( http://blogs.msdn.com/astebner/pages/8999004.aspx ) to verify .Net Framework and let me know the status of what u exactly have on your machine ?

http://repairdotnetframeworks.wordpress.com/2009/09/24/download_dotnetframeworks-3-5/
    Thks
    anliS

Best Regards,
    anliS
    BIC
    Friday, October 16, 2009 6:44 AM
  • Thanks for the quick reply!
    I'll try to give out as many information as I can.

1]
    a. By using clean_up tool I can see there are 1.0 & 1.1 & 3.5 (I know it will disable 2.0 from appear, just for extra info)
    b. By go to C:/Windows/Microsoft.NET/Framework there are some folder that
    - v1.0.3705
    - v1.1.4322
    - v2.0.50727
    - v3.0
    - v3.5  
    - NETFXSBS10
    - netfxsbs12 Other than that all are .dll 

2]
    I receive no error message, the program just close down itself without even starting. I noticed the program is yellow color in procexp, guess it is related to .net

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I can't install dotnetfx35setup.exe because setup.exe will crash at half of the process and later receive setup error message.

When using the verification tool, there has 3 choices which is 2.0 SP2, 3.0 SP2 and 3.5 SP1.   (All of them success verified)
    Is this mean .NET framwork isn't the problem which causing I cannot open the .exe file? 

P/S: The .exe program need a license key to activate (enter and activated when it first start up but cannot see the user interface after that)and the program need to access into IE browser in order to do it real jobs. Very sorry If I'm asking this question(if it is not related to .NET) in the wrong place. :(

Friday, October 16, 2009 7:21 AM
  • Hi

Accd to u "When using the verification tool, there has 3 choices which is 2.0 SP2, 3.0 SP2 and 3.5 SP1.   (All of them success verified)"
    This doesn't display .Net Framework 3.5 exe ,.Net Framework 3.0 exe ,.Net Framework 2.0 exe .
    Only Service Packs are present on your system

There is difference between .Net Framework 3.5 SP1 and .Net Framework 3.5
    SP1 is service pack 1
    . A service pack (in short SP) is a collection of updates, fixes and/or enhancements to a software program delivered in the form of a single installable package

.Net Framework 3.5  is .Net Framework version 3.5 :-

So no .NET Frameworks are not verified, try Cleanup Tool at( http://blogs.msdn.com/astebner/pages/8904493.aspx)  to remove .NET 2.0SP2, 3.0 SP2 and 3.5SP1 and
    Install 3.5 Framework From here

.Net framework 3.5 Full Redistributable Package

To download the full redistributable package, rather than the bootstrapper, click on the link below to start the download:

http://download.microsoft.com/download/6/0/f/60fc5854-3cb8-4892-b6db-bd4f42510f28/dotnetfx35.exe

2) Then Install .NET Framework 3.5 SP1.

Also Check whether u have Windows Installer for .Net Exe to Install
    http://www.microsoft.com/DownLoads/details.aspx?familyid=889482FC-5F56-4A38-B838-DE776FD4138C&displaylang=en

Thanks
    anliS

Best Regards,
    anliS
    BIC
    • Marked as answer by J.Boyle Tuesday, October 20, 2009 5:15 AM
    Friday, October 16, 2009 8:43 AM
  • I can't uninstall .net 2.0 and 3.0!
    Both neither found in clean_up tool nor add/remove programs !

What's next :(

I realize I had 2.0 and 3.0 and 3.5, in registry : localmachine .....
    All of it show value 1 in "install" value 
    value 2 in "SP" on 2.0&3.0
    value 1 in "SP" on 3.5
    Does it mean I have these installed?

P/S: Currently 3.5 has been removed.
    Friday, October 16, 2009 12:44 PM
  • Hi J.Boyle,

Thank you for your post.

The reason why you cannot remove .NET 2.0 and 3.0 on Vista is that .NET 2.0 and 3.0 are shipped with Vista as OS components.

Firstly, .NET Framework 3.5 installation includes .NET Framework 2.0 and 3.0 as prerequisite. Thus, if you have install .NET 3.5, you don't need to install .NET 2.0 separately.

Secondly, Verification Tool can verify the installation status of .NET Framework with SP1 instead of service pack only.

Based on your description, it seems that .NET 2.0 + SP2, .NET 3.0 + SP2 and .NET 3.5 + SP1 can be well verified on your machine. It means that these .NET Frameworks are installed successfully on your machine. So we could isolate the possible cause of .NET Framework.

I suspect that your issue could be related to the program itself. You might contact the support of the program for more useful help. :)

Hope this helps. If you have any concern, please feel free to let me know.

Have a good week!

Best regards,
    Yichun Chen
    Monday, October 19, 2009 6:09 AM
  • YiChun thank for th reply!

I think I have 2.0, 3.0 and 3.5 installed and the problem might related to the program.

Recently when I run a sfc /scannow.exe (forget the command properly), it said a error found but cannot fix it. (in cmd window)
    If this is the problem, the only solution to this is to reinstall the OS ? (though can't remove .NET 2.0 in vista)
    Tuesday, October 20, 2009 3:59 AM
  • Hi J.Boyle,

Thank you for your reply.

For your concern, re-installation of OS could resolve your problem. However, before you decide to format your OS, for one quicker way, you would try to repair OS or restore the OS configuration to an earlier point. Here is a KB about this, please see: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/936212/

If no avail, you could try posting this issue on Technet - Windows Vista Setup forum to get more useful help related to Vista there.

Hope this helps. Have a good week! :)

Best regards,
    Yichun Chen
    • Edited by YiChun Chen Tuesday, October 20, 2009 5:00 AM typo
    Tuesday, October 20, 2009 4:56 AM
  • Thank You,
    now I know what is the problem :)

Choosing the answer according to the title.

Tuesday, October 20, 2009 5:17 AM
  • Hi J.Boyle,

It's my pleasure. :)

Best regards,
    Yichun Chen
    Tuesday, October 20, 2009 5:19 AM