none
unlinking table from sharepoint list and relationships RRS feed

• Question

• I have a table which is a link to a sharepoint list. I need to unlink the table by deleting link and then re-link again through external data.

When I delete the table, it's telling me that the relationships will be broken. My question is: when I relink the table, will the relationships come back?

Thanks

• Edited by MikeMan 48 Tuesday, October 16, 2018 12:52 PM
    Tuesday, October 16, 2018 12:51 PM

All replies

• The relationships are actually done in the back end. Access can sometimes display the relationships but they can't be configured from within Access. I'm puzzled that you got that message. Deleting a link does nothing to the table itself or the relationships it has. Maybe the message doesn't mean anything.

I would take a look at what Access shows in the relationships window and note that. When you delete the link and re-link you might have to manually recreate it.

Bill Mosca
    www.thatlldoit.com
    http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/MS_Access_Professionals

Tuesday, October 16, 2018 3:44 PM
  • Thanks Bill,

Actually, I already looked at the relationship window before I deleted. I've actually seen that message pop up numerous times so I don't think the message is unusual.

However (before deleting link) in the relationship window, one critical relationship was not shown as a join. The fact that you said "sometimes" give me hope that there actually is a relationship. And actually everything(forms, subforms, etc) works for the most part like the missing relationship exists.

So I deleted the linked table and re-linked and the relationships that the window did show are back as they were with the missing one still missing. However, still everything works as expected. Also, I checked and the missing relationship in access does show in the list on sharepoint so for some reason, it's not translating. On some rare occasions, I have noticed some glitches in the database where data I expected to show up in a subform where the questioned relationship is, does not show up. But this doesn't happen all the time. So now I'm wondering if that missing relationship (in access only) is causing the problem?

• Edited by MikeMan 48 Tuesday, October 16, 2018 4:49 PM omission
    Tuesday, October 16, 2018 4:48 PM
  • I'm afraid I can't help you with that one, Mike. I don't use SharePoint lists in Access. Did you try putting the relationship in Access?

Bill Mosca
    www.thatlldoit.com
    http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/MS_Access_Professionals

Tuesday, October 16, 2018 9:09 PM
  • Ok I'll try posting on a sharepoint forum Thanks
    Tuesday, October 16, 2018 11:05 PM