UI virtualizing for VariableSizedWrapGrid

Question

• From the documentation:

"If you replace the default panel in an ItemsControl with a non-virtualizing panel, like VariableSizedWrapGrid orStackPanel, UI virtualization is disabled for that control."

VariableSizedWrapGrid is important for a good looking app, and UI virtualizing is a must for performance reasons.

My question is:

a) Is MSFT planning to support it at any point?

b) Is it possible to be implemented by developers, if so, how can I do it?

Thanks,

Helin

Monday, December 03, 2012 9:42 PM

Answers

• Hi Helin,

This combination isn't possible. The VariableSizedWrapGrid needs to know the size of its contents to calculate its size and so it needs to have all of its contents instantiated on initialization. This contradicts the point of virtualizing, which is to prevent loading the items until they are shown. That is why virtualized controls only work in containers which don't depend on the specific contents for layout.

--Rob

Tuesday, December 04, 2012 12:05 AM
    Owner

All replies

• Hi Helin,

This combination isn't possible. The VariableSizedWrapGrid needs to know the size of its contents to calculate its size and so it needs to have all of its contents instantiated on initialization. This contradicts the point of virtualizing, which is to prevent loading the items until they are shown. That is why virtualized controls only work in containers which don't depend on the specific contents for layout.

--Rob

Tuesday, December 04, 2012 12:05 AM
    Owner
  • Hi Rob,

Thanks for the reply.

I am working on a image heavy app, is there a way to unload images from UI (memory) when they are not being displayed (or they are already handled by system?)

Thanks,

Helin

Tuesday, December 04, 2012 2:34 AM
  • On the Windows Phone platform, the LongListSelector (from Microsoft.Phone.Controls) is capable of virtualizing variable-sized members. Why is this not possible for Windows Store controls?
    Friday, October 11, 2013 4:57 PM
  • @Helin Wang did u find any solution please?

:)

Saturday, January 04, 2014 12:52 PM