none
VS 2015 asks for a Win 10 SDK even when a higher version SDK is already installed

Question

• Hi,

I just installed VS 2015 update 1. When I open a project cloned from the GitHub, the system askes me to install Universal Windows Platform Tools and Windows 10 SDK 10.0.10240. However I already have the Tools (1.2) and Windows 10 SDK 10.0.10586 installed. Is it normal? Do I have to install two Win10 SDKs? Please help. I am new to windows development. Thanks.

Jay

Thursday, December 10, 2015 12:35 AM

Answers

• For me this turned out to be a bug with Unity 5.3.  Unity posted a fix on their message boards.  You have to edit the csproj in notepad to remove an extra .0 on one of thier reference lines.
    Wednesday, December 23, 2015 3:52 AM
  • Hi eijoac and wulveagfin,

One issue is that whether you could open the solution in your solution explorer window, whether you could open the project file even if you get the error?

If you could open it, please check that whether it is related to the target version.

If still no help, please repair/re-install your VS2015 update 1, and make sure that it is not related to the setup option like the following screen shot.

Best Regards,

Jack

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Friday, December 11, 2015 9:31 AM

All replies

• I'm having the exact same problem.

Windows 8.1 x64 OS

I'm using Unity3d to build a "universal 10" app.  It creates the win 10 solution to compile in community 2015.  2015 states

"Install Universal Windows Platform Tools and Windows 10 SDK 10.0.10240"

I installed 10.0.10586, still get the error. 

Friday, December 11, 2015 3:45 AM
  • Hi eijoac and wulveagfin,

One issue is that whether you could open the solution in your solution explorer window, whether you could open the project file even if you get the error?

If you could open it, please check that whether it is related to the target version.

If still no help, please repair/re-install your VS2015 update 1, and make sure that it is not related to the setup option like the following screen shot.

Best Regards,

Jack

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Friday, December 11, 2015 9:31 AM
  • For me this turned out to be a bug with Unity 5.3.  Unity posted a fix on their message boards.  You have to edit the csproj in notepad to remove an extra .0 on one of thier reference lines.
    Wednesday, December 23, 2015 3:52 AM
  • I don't have 10240 installed but maybe I did at one point. I do have 10586 installed and was getting this error. I created a new universal windows app and compared the csproj and found the difference was

Failing project:

<TargetPlatformVersion>10.0.10240.0</TargetPlatformVersion>

<TargetPlatformMinVersion>10.0.10240.0</TargetPlatformMinVersion>

Working project:

<TargetPlatformVersion>10.0.10586.0</TargetPlatformVersion>

<TargetPlatformMinVersion>10.0.10240.0</TargetPlatformMinVersion>

Changing the 10240 to 10586 on the TargetPlatformVersion element fixed the project to allowed it to load.

Gary Davis

Saturday, January 30, 2016 6:01 PM