Upgrading LightSwitch project from VS2012 to VS2013 and Team Foundation Service the right way RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I know I'm asking a lot here but can anybody share what is the best practice to upgrade a Project from VS 2012 to VS 2013 and then add it to surce control in Team Foundation Service?

So far I've done this:

1. Make a copy of the Project to another folder
    2. Rename the folder to "ProjectName 2013"
    3. Open the copied Project in Visual Studio 2013 from its solution file (.sln) (it's a LightSwitch Project)
    4. Accept the warnings and upgrade
    5. Run the Project to check everything works.
    6. Log in to TFS and created a new Project (ProjectName 2013)
    7. Open Source Control Explorer, create mapping to the Local Path "ProjectName 2013"
    8. Create a Main subfolder.

At this point my folder structure looks like this:

"C:\Projects\ProjectName 2013" with "ProjectName 2013" and "ProjectName" subfolders. The first weights 162KB and the latter 468MB.

Subfolder ProjectName 2013 has BuildProcessTemplates and Main folder.

Subfolder ProjectName has (hidden) $tf, _Pvt_Extensions, Backup, Bin, BuildProcessTemplates, Client, Common, Extensions, Publish, Server folders, plus some commonly found files.

I'm not sure if I need $tf, Backup, Bin or Publish.

What I want is to maintain perfectly separated the 2012 from the 2013 version, including the source controlled code in separate TFS projects, of course, but since the migrated version contains the TFS configuration information, I don't want to mess anything up.

How should I go from here?

thanks.

Tuesday, November 19, 2013 12:01 AM

Answers

• HI Nicolás Lope de Barrios

Before Upgrade starts, a backup of the current project is made and stored in Backup folder located at the same level in the project folder as the solution file (.sln). The user file settings (.suo file) is also backed up.

For projects created with Visual Studio 2012, you will automatically receive a prompt for upgrade on opening the project on a machine with Visual Studio 2013 preview.

Please follow these procedure to upgrade your LightSwitch projects to Visual Studio 2013,

Upgrading your LightSwitch projects (Raghuveer Gopalakrishnan)

If it still has same issue, please don’t hesitate to let me know.

Regards

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

• Edited by Angie Xu Thursday, November 21, 2013 1:47 AM
    • Marked as answer by Angie Xu Tuesday, December 3, 2013 11:36 AM
    Thursday, November 21, 2013 1:47 AM
  • Hi Nicolás,

If you intend to work side by side VS2012 and Vs2013 project versions then do consider this:

Change ports after upgrading

The two ports will conflict, in particular that used for debugging will cause problems.

Cheers

Dave

Dave Baker | AIDE for LightSwitch | Xpert360 blog | twitter : @xpert360 | Xpert360 website | Opinions are my own. For better forums, remember to mark posts as helpful/answer.

Wednesday, November 27, 2013 10:02 AM

All replies

• HI Nicolás Lope de Barrios

Before Upgrade starts, a backup of the current project is made and stored in Backup folder located at the same level in the project folder as the solution file (.sln). The user file settings (.suo file) is also backed up.

For projects created with Visual Studio 2012, you will automatically receive a prompt for upgrade on opening the project on a machine with Visual Studio 2013 preview.

Please follow these procedure to upgrade your LightSwitch projects to Visual Studio 2013,

Upgrading your LightSwitch projects (Raghuveer Gopalakrishnan)

If it still has same issue, please don’t hesitate to let me know.

Regards

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.

• Edited by Angie Xu Thursday, November 21, 2013 1:47 AM
    Thursday, November 21, 2013 1:47 AM
  • Thank you Angie. The guide is helpful, and the Project was upgraded correctly.

There is no issue here, just this question: should I move the content of the migrated Project, which maintains its old name (i.e. ProjectName), to ProjectName 2013\Main, and add that to source control? and if so, which subfolders/files should I get rid of?

Friday, November 22, 2013 4:08 AM
  • Hi Nicolás Lope de Barrios

Thanks for yourfeedback.

I don't think you need should I move the content of the migrated Project.

Best regards

Angie

Wednesday, November 27, 2013 9:44 AM
  • Hi Nicolás,

If you intend to work side by side VS2012 and Vs2013 project versions then do consider this:

The two ports will conflict, in particular that used for debugging will cause problems.

Cheers

Dave

Dave Baker | AIDE for LightSwitch | Xpert360 blog | twitter : @xpert360 | Xpert360 website | Opinions are my own. For better forums, remember to mark posts as helpful/answer.

Wednesday, November 27, 2013 10:02 AM
  • Hi Nicolás,

Cheers

Dave

Dave, I will keep it in mind if I need to run them side by side.

Thank you.

Wednesday, November 27, 2013 1:32 PM