none
Report Question RRS feed

• Question

• Can someone make a suggestion for me?

I have an Access 2013 DB that will be used to print come labels.  There will be three different reports used to print three different labels.  These reports will be printed from several different computers located in different areas of the plant.

There are two label stock sizes each size is in a Zebra Label Printer.

There are actually three physical areas that each have two of these printers installed.  Each of the physical computer locations needs to be able to print any of the labels to either of the two printers located in any of the three separate areas.

Now the way that comes to mind for me to do this is to create separate reports for each label to a specific printer. IE:  Label 1 to printer 1 in area 1;   Label 1 to printer 1 in area 2 and; Label 1 to printer 1 in area 3

This would mean three separate versions of Label 1 to maintain one for the printer in each area.  In addition, I will need to do the same for each label for each printer in each of the other three areas.  I am wondering if instead of creating a separate report object for each printer, is there a way I can use code to direct a “Master Report” to each of the printers at print time.  I don’t know if this is the best way to go or if it is even possible. 

Any ideas are welcome.

Sunday, October 14, 2018 7:45 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Without seeing your situation, I would imagine you only need to design two separate reports (one for each printer type), if the printer drivers are different. Otherwise, one report should work for any of the printers, if the printer drivers are the same. As for sending the report to a specific printer, it would depend on how each computer is mapped to them. You can dynamically send a report a specific printer, if you know its name.

Just my 2 cents...

Sunday, October 14, 2018 8:32 PM
  • Thanks for your response.  I Will need to design three "Master" reports, if I can figure out how to dynamically send them to a specific printer.  I know how to configure a report for a specific printer using page setup at design time, but that would require a separate report for each printer for each area.  These are network printers, and I do know their names.  I do not know how to dynamically send a report to a specific printer/label stock combination.  Can you give me some tips on how to do this?

• Edited by tkosel Sunday, October 14, 2018 9:39 PM
    Sunday, October 14, 2018 9:10 PM
  • Hi,

Take a look at this demo from UtterAccess.

Hope it helps...

Sunday, October 14, 2018 10:03 PM
  • Leo,

Thanks for your input.  This demo has more than I need, but it helped me make my decision.  I think my best bet will be to create the  reports I will need to accomplish my needs instead of using this interface to manage the basic  reports I was hoping for.  I am worried about my users ability to make the right choices using this interface.  I like the interface, it is very good and I will probably use it in the future.  In this case however, I need to have more control myself.  That involves limiting their choices.

As usual, your advice is sound and appreciated.

Saturday, October 20, 2018 10:36 PM
  • Any ideas are welcome.

Hi tkosel,

You could make one report where the controls are positioned according to the needed output. This could be done in the Open or Load event.

In my applications I do not use a label-report. Instead, I generate a string with all the label-information, and use this string in a routine generates an rtf-ouput to print the labels. In this modules the user can select any label-format with or without margins, large, small, even with the possibility to skip places. It is also possible to reduce the number of possibilities to a very small set of predefined choices.

Imb.

Sunday, October 21, 2018 12:28 PM
  • Imb-hb,

As usual, thanks for your helpful suggestions.  It would appear that I am going to need to use my original concept, which involves the creation of 18 unique reports, 1 for each label option.  This is because I know the users need to make specific choices to make sure the right label gets to the right printer in the right area.  If they have too many options, they will invariably make the wrong choices.

Sunday, October 21, 2018 9:15 PM