Only 2 Screen Resolutions available on my Laptop

Question

• I installed Windows 8 on my Samsung Q430 laptop but Windows provides only 2 screen resolutions: 800 X 600 and 1024 X 768. What's also weird is Windows recommends 800 X 600 even if the actual resolution of this laptop is 1366 X 768. What is the problem?
    • Edited by Godwinium Thursday, September 15, 2011 8:11 AM
    Wednesday, September 14, 2011 5:50 AM

Answers

• The answer for this thread is going to be very hardware specific, particularly for laptops.

If Windows 8 setup did not leave you with a working video driver:

1. Try going to Windows Update manually.

2. Go to your OEM's website and download the Windows 7 driver for your model.

3. Go to the GPU maker's website and download the latest driver (sometimes doesn't work on laptops as chipsets get customized for the OEM)

The device telemetry will tell us what devices are being used and what devices are missing drivers, so there is no need to post your device info here (except to share for someone else what works).

Monday, September 19, 2011 1:27 AM

All replies

• Install the appropriate Windows 7 video driver.
    Wednesday, September 14, 2011 6:31 AM
  • What if there was a driver that installed automatically under Windows 7 but which does not install automatically under Windows 8 Developer Preview? (That's the situation I'm in)
    Wednesday, September 14, 2011 6:54 AM
  • For my Dell XT I had to install the Vista driver and things are working, but I have no idea for any other systems.

Wednesday, September 14, 2011 6:55 AM
  • In my own case, Windows actually found the driver but encountered an error while trying to install it. Really weird, I guess I'm stuck since this is a developer preview.
    Wednesday, September 14, 2011 7:15 AM
  • Sweet! I have a Panasonic Toughbook CF-52A (very, very old). When I last checked they didn't have Vista drivers (XP SP2 only) but on the Japanese version of their site I found some. After installing them the display kept flashing back and forth to black for ~2 minutes but then became stable.

The developer preview is about a thousand times more tolerable with hardware acceleration. :)

Wednesday, September 14, 2011 7:24 AM
  • I got the same problem, only 1024x768 and 800 x 600.

At device manager, intel hd graphics has the following "device status: Your computer's system firmware does not include enough information to properly configure and use this device.  To use this device, contact your computer manufacturer to obtain a firmware or BIOS update. (Code 35)"

the bios version is the last. and I also tried with Graphics drivers from Samsung support website (for windows 7 32 bits), and Intel website with same results.

my laptop specs: Samsung Q530-ja01, Intel core I5 m480 (2.67 ghz), 4 GB ddr3 ram, Intel HD Graphics.

Thanks

Wednesday, September 14, 2011 10:17 PM
  • NVidia GeForce go 7400 win 7 drivers won't work on my laptop either, a little old, but i'd still expect it to work.
    Thursday, September 15, 2011 3:32 AM
  • Same here, Samsung R540 with Core i3-380M, Intel HM55 and HD 2000, 2 resolutions...
    Thursday, September 15, 2011 6:45 AM
  • My Nvidia 8600M GT isn't even being recognised by Win8 - no display adapters detected apparently! I can still set the display to any of my usual resolutions, but without hardware acceleration, Metro UI is a little jittery
    Thursday, September 15, 2011 7:28 AM
  • On my Touchsmart 610-1190f, my NVIDIA GeForce GT 445M is not being recognized either.
    Thursday, September 15, 2011 7:37 AM
  • Win8 will install standard MS VGA driver.

You must install the latest Graphic Chipset driver from the Intel Site. (Use latest driver for your chipset for Win7)

This is true for any fresh OS installation on laptops. Normally the vendor will do this so you will not know about it.

If you do fresh install of any OS on any laptop this has to be done.

You should also install Intel Chipset drivers, Audio drivers. 

Thursday, September 15, 2011 1:58 PM
  • I've been having the same issue too, I'll try installing the nVidia driver and prey it works.
    Friday, September 16, 2011 2:33 PM
  • I have the same problem too. I have ATI Radeon Xpress 200 Series graphic card and Windows isn't just recognizing it, it installed microsoft basic display adapter...

And as far as installing windows 7 driver is concerned, it doesn't exist independently, windows 7 installed it automatically.

Microsoft, please resolve this problem! Things look creepy in low res...

Sunday, September 18, 2011 12:51 PM
  • The answer for this thread is going to be very hardware specific, particularly for laptops.

If Windows 8 setup did not leave you with a working video driver:

1. Try going to Windows Update manually.

2. Go to your OEM's website and download the Windows 7 driver for your model.

3. Go to the GPU maker's website and download the latest driver (sometimes doesn't work on laptops as chipsets get customized for the OEM)

The device telemetry will tell us what devices are being used and what devices are missing drivers, so there is no need to post your device info here (except to share for someone else what works).

Monday, September 19, 2011 1:27 AM
  • I installed Win 8 on an older Acer laptop and experienced the same issue.  I went to the OEM website and found a driver but it was a Vista driver and it would not install on my Win 8 machine.  The message I received was that no valid operating system was found for this installation.

I attempted to download other versions of drivers for similar laptops, but no success.  Finally I went back to the Vista installation and ran it in compatibility mode and then it worked!  YMMV

Hope that helps someone...

Saturday, October 1, 2011 4:07 PM
  • Sweet! I have a Panasonic Toughbook CF-52A (very, very old). When I last checked they didn't have Vista drivers (XP SP2 only) but on the Japanese version of their site I found some. After installing them the display kept flashing back and forth to black for ~2 minutes but then became stable.

The developer preview is about a thousand times more tolerable with hardware acceleration. :)

My experience was similar but I had to run the new installation for my video driver in a compatibility mode.
    Saturday, October 1, 2011 4:08 PM
  • had the same issue with Windows 7, our systems guys installed win 7 and when i got my laptop i noticed it had a "graphics options > output to" menu item available when i right clicked on the desktop. When i installed win 8 i didnt see this menu item. I followed what Akelkar suggested, went to intel site, got an utility that detected the chipset and then installed the win 7 version of "Intel Media Accelerator driver" for the specific chipset. Once i did this i got few more options on the display settings and the above said menu showed up. when i set the output to notebook, i was able to set the resolution i wanted.
    Thursday, November 17, 2011 5:45 PM