Clone test case in Test Manager 2010 RRS feed

• Question

• I know this feature is available in the VS 11 beta. But in 2010, is there any way to clone (not linking) a test case between test plans? I know you can use the function "Create copy and add to suite" within a test plan but in my research all copying between test plans (query based suite, copy suite from another test plane tc.) are actually links to the original work item. Is this correct?
    Thursday, April 26, 2012 12:42 PM

Answers

• Hi mattias,

Thank you for your post.

Yes, clone test case is support in MTM11.

In MTM10, in order to get the same result, you can create copy and add to suite in fiest test plan, then change to another test plan, add the copied test case based on qurey out the test case.

Create copy and add to suite is not add a link point to the original test case, it is a totally new test case with a new ID. You can check the ID of the two test cases, they are different.

Best regards,

Lily Wu [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us

• Edited by Lily_Wu Friday, April 27, 2012 2:07 AM
    • Proposed as answer by niveditabawa_MSFT Monday, April 30, 2012 10:56 AM
    • Marked as answer by Lily_Wu Wednesday, May 2, 2012 3:08 AM
    Friday, April 27, 2012 2:06 AM

All replies

• Hi mattias,

Thank you for your post.

Yes, clone test case is support in MTM11.

In MTM10, in order to get the same result, you can create copy and add to suite in fiest test plan, then change to another test plan, add the copied test case based on qurey out the test case.

Create copy and add to suite is not add a link point to the original test case, it is a totally new test case with a new ID. You can check the ID of the two test cases, they are different.

Best regards,

Lily Wu [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us

• Edited by Lily_Wu Friday, April 27, 2012 2:07 AM
    • Proposed as answer by niveditabawa_MSFT Monday, April 30, 2012 10:56 AM
    • Marked as answer by Lily_Wu Wednesday, May 2, 2012 3:08 AM
    Friday, April 27, 2012 2:06 AM
  • Lily

Thanks for this i did try the create copy and add to plan which created a link to the test i copied it from...

I am trying to do the same where i want to copy a about 30 - 40 tests without links, what's the bets way to do this as the above did not work for me?

Andy

Monday, June 25, 2012 3:11 PM