none
Update OST without UI running RRS feed

• Question

• Is there any straight forward way to script a background synchronization of .OST file with Exchange, without the Outlook UI running (or at least being hidden/unavailable to the user)?

Tuesday, February 21, 2012 7:41 AM

Answers

• AFAIK, if you simply create a new Outlook.Application object to start OUTLOOK.EXE with the required Exchange-based profile, a synch should begin.  You may also be able to do the same thing with Redemption by logging into the profile without starting OUTLOOK.EXE.  I'm just guessing though; try sending that account a message when you try this, then start Outlook as usual but in offline mode and see if the message is there.

Eric Legault
    MVP (Outlook)
    About me...

Tuesday, February 21, 2012 3:33 PM

All replies

• AFAIK, if you simply create a new Outlook.Application object to start OUTLOOK.EXE with the required Exchange-based profile, a synch should begin.  You may also be able to do the same thing with Redemption by logging into the profile without starting OUTLOOK.EXE.  I'm just guessing though; try sending that account a message when you try this, then start Outlook as usual but in offline mode and see if the message is there.

Eric Legault
    MVP (Outlook)
    About me...

Tuesday, February 21, 2012 3:33 PM
  • Had a look at Redemption, but didn't get it to work. Probably can be done, but not at my current skill level...

Creating a standard Outlook.Application object seems to do the job, but some inconsistent test results. Needed to add some code around SyncObjects to send mails stored in outbox, and I guess that will also ensure that the other folders are synchronized.

Thanks for your input, Eric!

Tuesday, February 21, 2012 9:56 PM
  • No problem.  But AFAIK, sync groups containing the default Exchange mailbox are redundant since synching is always "on" anyway.  Forcing a sync could be handy though for forcing a send.

Eric Legault
    MVP (Outlook)
    About me...

Tuesday, February 21, 2012 9:59 PM