Save Data across App versions even if app uninstallation

Question

• I'd like to save data (a single string) in my app and ensure it is saved in case the user uninstalls and reinstalls the app. How do I ensure data is saved permanently on the user's machine? 

Monday, December 08, 2014 10:25 PM

Answers

• Yes. Roaming settings saves across devices. It gets saved to the cloud so that includes returning back to the same device if the app is reinstalled after being removed.

LocalSettings will save just to the single device and will persist through updates. They will be removed when the app is uninstalled. 

• Marked as answer by Jaxim Tuesday, December 09, 2014 1:27 PM
    Tuesday, December 09, 2014 12:13 AM
    Owner

All replies

• You cannot.

Apps are specifically designed not to leave droppings behind when they uninstall. Your best option is to store the data in the cloud. Depending on how permanent you want this you could use roaming settings, or you could use your own cloud service.

Monday, December 08, 2014 11:05 PM
    Owner
  • Doesn't Roaming Settings save data ACROSS devices? I want to save the setting on just one device, so I am assuming I don't want to use roaming settings. I probably want to use local settings, right?

Is local settings stored across versions? If the app is updated, will the new version still contain the same local setting from the previous version?

• Edited by Jaxim Tuesday, December 09, 2014 12:05 AM
    Tuesday, December 09, 2014 12:04 AM
  • Yes. Roaming settings saves across devices. It gets saved to the cloud so that includes returning back to the same device if the app is reinstalled after being removed.

LocalSettings will save just to the single device and will persist through updates. They will be removed when the app is uninstalled. 

• Marked as answer by Jaxim Tuesday, December 09, 2014 1:27 PM
    Tuesday, December 09, 2014 12:13 AM
    Owner