none
Unable to update DBML: The specified module could not be loaded RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all,

Whenever I try to make use of the following LINQ to SQL functions in VS 2010 [Version 10.0.40219.1 SP1 Rel]:

I receive the following error message:

[UPDATE]

Just an update:

I uninstalled VS 2010 as well as VS 2010 SP1. I installed VS2010 & SP1 - this did not solve the problem!

[/UPDATE]

Could anyone please assist me in this matter?

Many thanks in advance!

Kind regards,

GMT + 2:00 South Africa
    Kind Regards
    Richard

• Edited by RGA Bailey Tuesday, February 21, 2012 8:29 AM Update
    Monday, February 20, 2012 11:30 AM

Answers

• Hi all,

Okay, I solved the problem. This was the solution that I followed - please refer to the following thread for more information: http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/vstsdb/thread/d65c71f5-3887-4f2a-bbd3-e799a4ac6fdc/ 

Navigate to the following folder (x64 machine): C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\microsoft shared\Visual Database Tools\

You'll find a file there called: dsref80.dll - check the version of the file, it should be: 10.0.30319.1

Mine was 11.0.40825.2 - this was because of a Visual Studio 11 Developer preview install. I replaced the dll with on found on another devs PC (which was working).

Many thanks for all the effort!

Kind regards,

Kind Regards
    Richard

• Marked as answer by RGA Bailey Wednesday, February 22, 2012 10:08 AM
    Wednesday, February 22, 2012 10:08 AM

All replies

• Hi all,

Whenever I try to make use of the following LINQ to SQL functions in VS 2010 [Version 10.0.40219.1 SP1 Rel] - I cannot drag a table onto the DMBL file:

I receive the following error message:

I uninstalled VS 2010 as well as VS 2010 SP1. I installed VS2010 & SP1 - this did not solve the problem!

Could anyone please assist me in this matter?

Many thanks in advance!

Kind regards,

Kind Regards
    Richard

• Moved by lucy-liuModerator Wednesday, February 22, 2012 7:49 AM it is a linq to sql issue (From:Visual Studio Editor)
    • Merged by Allen_MSDNModerator Wednesday, February 22, 2012 8:06 AM same case
    Tuesday, February 21, 2012 8:41 AM
  • Hi RGA Bailey,

Welcome to MSDN Forum.

The error is occurring when the .Net runtime JITs the method you're about to step into, because it couldn't find one of the types used by the method. So, please try to check the functions.

Best Regards

Allen Li [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us

Wednesday, February 22, 2012 2:05 AM
  • Hi Allen,

Many thanks for the reply.

Not really sure what functions you are refering to? This is in my opinion a Visual Studio error. I am unable to drag and drop a table from the Explorer View to the DBML editor / window. Furthermore, as mentioned in my previous post, I cannot make use of the functions defined in Visual Studio. When I do, I receive the exception / error message stated in my first post.

Kind regards,

Kind Regards
    Richard

Wednesday, February 22, 2012 6:31 AM
  • Hi RGA Bailey,

If you can't drag and drop the table from the Sever Explorer to the DBML Designer, I think it isn't caused by the functions. When you drag the tables to the designer, is there any exception appears?

Best Regards

Allen Li [MSFT]

Wednesday, February 22, 2012 6:40 AM
  • Hi Allen,

I am unable to drag anything onto designer. I select the table within the explorer window, then try to drag it onto the designer, but nothing happens. If I double click on the table within the explorer I receive the error message (as well as 'New Query' & 'Show Table Data'). 

Kind regards,

Kind Regards
    Richard

Wednesday, February 22, 2012 6:53 AM
  • Hi RGA Bailey,

If the server explorer has no reaction, I think it may because something wrong with your Visual Studio. You said you have reinstall it again, I'm not sure the root cause, may be you can try to repair it again.

Best Regards

Allen Li [MSFT]

Wednesday, February 22, 2012 7:43 AM
  • Hi AVATAR,
    This is a linq to sql issue, in order to give you a better support.
    I will move it to "Linq to Sql" forum.
    Thank you for your understanding!

Best regards,
    Lucy

Lucy Liu [MSFT]

Wednesday, February 22, 2012 7:48 AM
  • Hi Allen,

Thanks for the response.

Just to be clear, I have tried the following thus far:

• Repaired Visual Studio in maintenance mode
    • Uninstalled Visual Studio completely, which included service packs as well as other add-ons
    • Reinstalled Visual Studio as well as service packs
    • Uninstalled SQL Server 2008 R2
    • Reinstalled SQL Server 2008 R2
    • Installed all the service packs for SQL Server 2008 R2

None of these steps produced any results. I think I'm going to start Visual Studio in safe mode and see what happens, because I have no idea how to fixs this!

Kind regards,

Kind Regards
    Richard

Wednesday, February 22, 2012 7:59 AM
  • Can you please remove this thread or tell me how I can do it, because now there are duplicates within this forum?

Kind regards,

Kind Regards
    Richard

Wednesday, February 22, 2012 8:02 AM
  • Hi RGA Bailey,

I will merge the two case and continue to research it.

Best Regards

Allen Li [MSFT]

Wednesday, February 22, 2012 8:04 AM
  • Just an update. I tried add a table to the DBML file while Visual Studio was running in safe mode - this produced the same result. (I even created a new solution as well as a new project.)

None of these steps produced any results. I think I'm going to start Visual Studio in safe mode and see what happens, because I have no idea how to fixs this!

Kind regards,

Kind Regards
    Richard

Kind Regards
    Richard

Wednesday, February 22, 2012 8:20 AM
  • Hi RGA Bailey,

Does your visual studio can do other operations without problem except drag the tables on to DBML designer? I have researched on the internet for a long time, but still have no clue. I will do more research and come back as soon as possible.

Best Regards

Allen Li [MSFT]

Wednesday, February 22, 2012 8:35 AM
  • Hi Allen,

Yes, my Visual Studio can perform other operations, but the drag and drop is kinda crucial for adding tables to the DBML. Otherwise I have to ask one of the other devs to add it for me, check it in, and then get latest. Not very cool! 

I have been researching this issue for two days now?!

Kind regards,

Kind Regards
    Richard

• Edited by RGA Bailey Wednesday, February 22, 2012 8:39 AM
    Wednesday, February 22, 2012 8:39 AM
  • Hi all,

Okay, I solved the problem. This was the solution that I followed - please refer to the following thread for more information: http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/vstsdb/thread/d65c71f5-3887-4f2a-bbd3-e799a4ac6fdc/ 

Navigate to the following folder (x64 machine): C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\microsoft shared\Visual Database Tools\

You'll find a file there called: dsref80.dll - check the version of the file, it should be: 10.0.30319.1

Mine was 11.0.40825.2 - this was because of a Visual Studio 11 Developer preview install. I replaced the dll with on found on another devs PC (which was working).

Many thanks for all the effort!

Kind regards,

Kind Regards
    Richard

• Marked as answer by RGA Bailey Wednesday, February 22, 2012 10:08 AM
    Wednesday, February 22, 2012 10:08 AM
  • Hi RGA Bailey,

I'm glad to hear that you have solved the issue and thanks for sharing the experience.

Best Regards

Allen Li [MSFT]

Thursday, February 23, 2012 1:09 AM
  • check the version of the file, it should be: 10.0.30319.1 in  C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\microsoft shared\Visual Database Tools\

if u have any other vesrsion change it to this version it ill works fine

Tuesday, August 7, 2012 12:11 PM