none
.NET 2.0 SP1 and .NET 3.0 SP1 on Windows Update and Problem with AMD/ATI Catalyst 7.11 RRS feed

• General discussion

• There is a huge problem with the .NET 2.0 SP1 and also the .NET 3.0 SP1 Updates on the Windows Update site and the AMD/ATI Catalyst 7.11 Driver/Multimedia Suite. The result is that computers will load through the Windows loading screen but never make it to the desktop. I have done much research in action for a resolution to the problem. I have done four fresh XP Pro / XP Home installs 4 of each to identify the culprit. It does not occur on a system with the same operating system(s) that is using an NVIDIA card using it's latest ForceWare drivers that are WHQL certified. I have done the installs the same way on a machine that is running the NVIDIA ForceWare and a machine with the AMD/ATI Catalyst 7.11 drivers and it only occurs on the AMD/ATI  drivers. I have used two different type machines, one using a dual core CPU and one using a P-4 CPU, same results in that aspect as well, only the AMD/ATI driver caused the problem. I will be running down the list and seeing if the AMD/ATI Catalyst 7.10 - 7.9 drivers react the same with the .NET SP1 updates that are/will be required for the .NET 3.5 package.

Tuesday, December 11, 2007 8:56 PM