Transfer Azure SQL DB to sql 2008 on-premises RRS feed

• Question

• What options do I have to transfer an Azure SQL DB (v12, sql 2014) to an  on-premise sql 2008 DB?

Assume that the Azure DB began life as a sql 2008 DB and no changes were made to it (schema wise) that would affect that sql compatibility of the two DBs.

TIA,

edm2

P.S While I understand SSIS data transfer is an option, that requires a customized SSIS package for each DB transfer. And the data needs to be transferred in just the right order because of PK\FK constraints. This approach seems adhoc and time consuming, best avoided, if possible.

Wednesday, September 23, 2015 2:21 PM

Answers

• Hello,

These are some of the available options:

• Backup and restore from SSMS by using the Export Data-tier wizard, and importing it to your on-premise SQL Server. More information can be found here: Export a Data Tier Application.
    • Exporting data from Azure SQL by using the BCP utility to a flat file, and importing that file on the on-premise SQL Server. More information on this utility can be found here: BCP and Azure
    • Use the Generate Scripts Wizard in SSMS to generate a Schema and Data script from your SQL Azure database and just run this script on the on-premise server. In this method, you have to select "Types of Data to Script = Schema and Data" in the 'Advanced Options' submenu in the Wizard. More details can be found here: How to Generate a Script (SQL Server Management Studio)

Hope this helps! Let me know if you have additional questions.

Thanks,

Luis

Wednesday, September 23, 2015 6:38 PM