none
Old template being downloaded - Word 2010 RRS feed

• Question

• I have my user templates file location and workgroup location set to the same network folder
    which I have added to my Trusted Locations
    (\\Dcpp006\MaintenanceSvcs\PROC\Projects\Word14\Template).

When loading a 2003 word document that was last saved with the template set to
    N:\Template\Procedure.dot, it shows a dialog indicating that it is Downloading N:\Template\Procedure.dot. Under Developer, Add-Ins, the correct location/template
    is indicated and the template functionality in available.

What steps are required to disable the downloading of the old template from the
    old location (which isn't used)?

Tim
    Monday, March 28, 2011 6:17 PM

Answers

All replies

• Hi Tim,

On your Developer tab there's a Template group (far right side) on the Ribbon. Select the Document Template button. The Templates and Add-ins dialog should show the path to the template. Clicking attach should allow you to change the template path.

I couldn't figure out from your post whether this was the place you were referrring to.

If it the place you were referring to and it's still hanging onto the old template, I've seen this happen before and have never been able to figure our why, here's some things I've done to fix it.

1. Delete the path in the Document template so nothing is in the box or simply type Normal. Click ok and save the document. Exit Word. Open Word and open the document. Check the template setting. Hopefully it's Normal so now attach the correct template and save.

2. Similar to above but instead of the first save being to the same name, do a save as.

3. Finally, "Maggie" the document. Open a new fresh document based on the Normal template. Open the problem document and select and copy everything but the last paragraph mark in the document. Paste it into your new blank document, attach the correct template and save.

Obviously all of this can be automated with VBA or an Add-in if you have a bunch of old documents to fix.

Also go out to the path you listed as the old path and make sure that old template is gone. Not finding the template, Word should revert automatically to Normal.

Hope this helps

Regards
    Monday, March 28, 2011 9:29 PM
  • Rich,

I can live with this since it only occurs once per document, but
    it will generate some questions from my users. Also it seems to be
    a waste of resources as it does appear to be doing something
    (downloading ??) with the older template before connecting to the new template.

I have been doing the same thing with Word 2003 for several years
    without any issues.

Hopefully someone will have a fix for the underlying problem.

Thanks for the suggestions.

Tim
    Monday, March 28, 2011 9:43 PM
  • Tim,

Another thing I just thought of was checking to see if this old template got installed as a global template.

Open Word, go the the Tempates and Add-ins menu and see if it is listed in there. Here's a brief MS link about Global Templates from 2003.

http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/word-help/load-or-unload-a-global-template-or-add-in-program-HP005186025.aspx

Regards
    Monday, March 28, 2011 9:55 PM
  • Rich,

After I load the document and see the dialog indicating that it is
    Downloading N:\Template\Procedure.dot, I check under Developer,
    Add-Ins which takes me to "Templates adn Add-ins". Under the
    Templates tab, the Document template indicates my new location\template.
    (\\Dcpp006\MaintenanceSvcs\PROC\Projects\Word14\Template\Procedure.dot)
    There are not any Global templates loaded.

Thanks for the info. 

Tim
    Monday, March 28, 2011 10:51 PM
  • Tim,

Did you try the other three things I mentioned?

There also a potential that the template itself is referencing a stored file location.  Does the template contain macros and if so can you open them?

Regards
    Tuesday, March 29, 2011 1:15 AM
  • Rich,

I didn't try them because once the document is loaded, the location/template is being shown correctly and all the functionality in the template is available. I was just trying to understand why it is connecting to the template at the old location, and appearing to download it.

Thanks

Tim
    Tuesday, March 29, 2011 12:29 PM
  • Hi Tim,

After reading your problem, I think it is more related with the end user problem and you may get more help if you post on the answer site:

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/office because there are more experts there.

Hope this can help you.

Best Regards,

Bruce Song [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us
    Get or Request Code Sample from Microsoft
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

• Marked as answer by Tim_Shaf Thursday, March 31, 2011 1:10 PM
    Thursday, March 31, 2011 8:51 AM