The following forum(s) have migrated to Microsoft Q&A (Preview): Azure Active Directory!
Visit Microsoft Q&A (Preview) to post new questions.

Learn More

Can't change Azure Active Directory associated with my subscription RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I want to change the Azure AD tenant that is associated with my subscription, but when I view the Subscriptions page under Settings in the portal it doesn't give me the Edit Directory button down the bottom.

Does anyone have any ideas why that might be or if there is a way to change tenant with PowerShell (I haven't been able to find one!) or any other way.

Thanks

Thursday, April 23, 2015 7:59 AM

Answers

• Hi robdmoore67,

There is some factors that have to be true for being allowed to change the associated directory

1. You have to be the Service Administrator for the subscription
    2. You have to be signed in using a Microsoft Account
    3. You have to have access to the directory you want to associate with

If all these are true, the button will be enabled, and you can chose the directory.

I hope this answers you question :)

/Anders Eide

Thursday, April 23, 2015 8:25 AM
  • Hi,

You can change the Service Administrator at https://account.windowsazure.com/Subscriptions

1. Sign in using you Account Administrator Credentials
    2. Click on the subscription you want to change
    3. Click on "Edit subscriptions details" and enter the Microsoft Account that's going to be Service Administrator
    4. Click Save

After a few minutes, the Microsoft Account will get a welcome email from Microsoft Azure, and you should be able to sign in to the subscription.

Now, step three has to be true. To get there, add the Microsoft Account to the directory you want to associate, and you should be good to go

/Anders Eide

Thursday, April 23, 2015 8:36 AM

All replies

• By the way, I am the service administrator of the subscription and I have created an Azure Active Directory for which I am Global Administrator.

I'm not Global Administrator of the directory that my subscription is currently attached to (only a user) - this is because my subscription got attached to the Azure AD instance of my company (it's an MSDN subscription) and I want to move it to my own Azure AD instance.

Thursday, April 23, 2015 8:02 AM
  • Hi robdmoore67,

There is some factors that have to be true for being allowed to change the associated directory

1. You have to be the Service Administrator for the subscription
    2. You have to be signed in using a Microsoft Account
    3. You have to have access to the directory you want to associate with

If all these are true, the button will be enabled, and you can chose the directory.

I hope this answers you question :)

/Anders Eide

Thursday, April 23, 2015 8:25 AM
  • Hmm, that's pretty awkward then because the service admin is an org id, not a Microsoft Account.

Can I get the service admin changed by support or is there another way to achieve what I want?

Thursday, April 23, 2015 8:26 AM
  • Hi,

You can change the Service Administrator at https://account.windowsazure.com/Subscriptions

1. Sign in using you Account Administrator Credentials
    2. Click on the subscription you want to change
    3. Click on "Edit subscriptions details" and enter the Microsoft Account that's going to be Service Administrator
    4. Click Save

After a few minutes, the Microsoft Account will get a welcome email from Microsoft Azure, and you should be able to sign in to the subscription.

Now, step three has to be true. To get there, add the Microsoft Account to the directory you want to associate, and you should be good to go

/Anders Eide

Thursday, April 23, 2015 8:36 AM
  • Legend! Thanks so much
    Thursday, April 23, 2015 8:37 AM