DirectoryServicesCOMException RRS feed

• Question

• User-1152693950 posted

Hello all, I have a web app that looks up a users email in AD and returns the email so the app can send a confirmation email. The lookup has been working fine for two weeks, but recently has started throwing an exception. 

System.DirectoryServices.DirectoryServicesCOMException
    [System.DirectoryServices.DirectoryServicesCOMException]
    Inner Exception
       at System.DirectoryServices.DirectoryEntry.Bind(Boolean throwIfFail)
       at System.DirectoryServices.DirectoryEntry.Bind()
       at System.DirectoryServices.DirectoryEntry.get_AdsObject()
       at System.DirectoryServices.DirectorySearcher.FindAll(Boolean findMoreThanOne)
       at System.DirectoryServices.DirectorySearcher.FindOne()
       at JobDB.pullestimatenum.JobInsertedSql(Object sender, SqlDataSourceStatusEventArgs e) in C:\JobDB\JobDB\pullestimatenum.aspx.cs:line 106
       at System.Web.UI.WebControls.SqlDataSourceView.ExecuteDbCommand(DbCommand command, DataSourceOperation operation)
       at System.Web.UI.DataSourceView.Insert(IDictionary values, DataSourceViewOperationCallback callback)
       at System.Web.UI.WebControls.FormView.HandleEvent(EventArgs e, Boolean causesValidation, String validationGroup)
       at System.Web.UI.WebControls.FormViewRow.OnBubbleEvent(Object source, EventArgs e)
       at System.Web.UI.Control.RaiseBubbleEvent(Object source, EventArgs args)
       at System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequestMain(Boolean includeStagesBeforeAsyncPoint, Boolean includeStagesAfterAsyncPoint)

This is the code I am using to get the email:
                        //Send user email
                        DirectorySearcher searcher = new DirectorySearcher();
                        searcher.Filter = string.Format("sAMAccountName={0}", User.Identity.Name.Substring(Request.LogonUserIdentity.Name.LastIndexOf(@"\") + 1));
                        SearchResult user = searcher.FindOne();
                        string emailAddr = user.Properties["mail"][0].ToString() ?? "";

Does anyone see anything wrong with this code? I cannot figure out why this would have started all of a sudden?

Edit: I tried restarting the website, recycling the application pool, and republishing the website and it is still not working. It is fine when I debug it from my dev machine.

Thanks,
    Brennan 

Monday, August 20, 2012 1:34 PM

Answers

• User-1152693950 posted

I ended up redoing how I was contacting Active Directory, and it is now working.

• Marked as answer by Anonymous Thursday, October 7, 2021 12:00 AM
    Monday, June 17, 2013 8:57 AM

All replies

• User1515728814 posted

Hi,

I think the problem is that the server was looking at the wrong AD controller. It had to be written out COMPLETELY.

Monday, September 10, 2012 2:40 AM
  • User-972150373 posted

I have the same error and I checked the names of the DC. The scenario is that I searched the groups (pimarios and nested) of a user and domain users to work perfectly but the other goes down when you run the statement: ds.FindAll (). This is the code

public SecurityGroups (string sAMAccountName, DirectoryEntry SearchRoot)  {  if (null == SearchRoot)  throw new ArgumentNullException ("SearchRoot");

_searchRoot = SearchRoot;

FindOne (String.Format ("(& (objectCategory = person) (sAMAccountName = {0}))" sAMAccountName));              }

private void FindOne (string ldapFilter)  {  DirectorySearcher ds = new DirectorySearcher (_searchRoot, ldapFilter);

using (SearchResultCollection src = ds.FindAll ())  {  if (src.Count> 0)  _userResult = src [0];  }

if (null == _userResult)  throw new ArgumentException ("User not found");  }

Both groups are by trusting relationship. and I see the simple (not groups nidados) utizando other code falls.

There are groups in both domains and do not know if that will be affecting.

Monday, October 1, 2012 5:21 PM
  • User-1152693950 posted

I ended up redoing how I was contacting Active Directory, and it is now working.

• Marked as answer by Anonymous Thursday, October 7, 2021 12:00 AM
    Monday, June 17, 2013 8:57 AM