none
Confusion with Target Designer configuration settings RRS feed

• Question

• I'm fairly new to Windows Embedded (using standard 2009) and have been tasked with creating an image for some legacy digital signage devices. All of my knowledge is coming from online resources and there are a few things that are a little unclear from what I've read. Was hoping to get some clarification from the community.

First off, I've gone through the following tutorial a few times (http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb521546(v=winembedded.51).aspx). If I'm understanding this correctly, importing devices.pmq into component designer (step 2) is essentially the means of importing all of the possible settings associated with the target machine and in the configuration creation stage (step 3) we are picking and choosing what we want to carry into that new image. What I've yet to find is a detailed list of what is needed to get started and why. Step 3 in the previous link has a couple pieces to add, but why are each needed and is it possible that I might need different starting points than this tutorial? I also followed the following video (http://www.annabooks.com/Video_Basic_Build.html), very helpful btw!! Early in the tutorial there is a slide that states "every image has the following", computer component/HAL- target designer, shell, language, NT Loader, file system and format, logon components. I'm assuming that should read "ever image needs the following components added". Therefore, we need to add each of those pieces via target designer since they aren't carried over by default, right? That being said, how do we find/identify the HAL through the interface? Is that added by default?

Secondly, Speaking of components to add. I never like to assume anything, and I'm making some assumptions. From the component browser pane, are the components listed all of the components that devices.pmq finds as installed/associated with the current target image, or are those canned listings provided by Windows Embedded? In other words, from the components pane, is it possible to add components to my image that aren't currently associated with my target at all? If these are canned, is there a way to show only components currently installed on the target?

Lastly, the second link also mentions "Macro Components". Is it possible to get ourselves in trouble using macro components or are they the recommended way to properly add components?

Wednesday, March 21, 2012 3:13 PM

All replies

• The PMQ file contains PNP settings for the devices it found in the system. Importing into Component designer is the correct approach. There will be some drivers missing, like video, audio, and ethernet. The other videos on the Annabooks site discuss drivers, and you will need to either create driver components or install them in the image. The HAL component is pulled in when you run TAP.

You can add any component you want from the database to build you customer image.

Putting the PMQ import into the Macro component is a best known method to manage images. it is easier to add 1 macro component in target designer than a bunch of individual components.

Besides the videos, there are books and other article to help get up the learning curve.

http://www.annabooks.com/Products.html

I have some platfrom macro components posted here:

http://www.seanliming.com/

-Sean

www.sjjmicro.com / www.seanliming.com / www.annabooks.com, Book Author - Pro Guide to WES 7, XP Embedded Advanced, Pro Guide to POS for .NET

Wednesday, March 21, 2012 6:04 PM
  • Hi Sean,

Thanks for the response.

You stated that importing devices.pmq into component designer is the way to go and that the HAL component will be pulled in. Is it safe to assume that the other necessary components, such as, shell, language, NT loader, etc are carried over too? That being said, is it safe to assume everything that was running on the target (aside from some drivers) will already be accounted for from the devices.pmq import?

Thanks,

Chris

Wednesday, March 21, 2012 6:15 PM
  • One other thing, regarding drivers. How will I know if i need to add these drivers? I'm assuming that this will come back as and error or warning during the build phase?
    Wednesday, March 21, 2012 6:35 PM