Binding a compound value

Question

• I have a property "color" in my object. I also have 2 more members: "colorCss" and "colorDisplay" that both change depending on "color". Is that possible using WinJS.Binding somehow? Or do I need to resort to knockout for such kind of inter-dependencies of properties in a bound object?
    Tuesday, May 13, 2014 4:07 PM

All replies

• Can you explain the behavior you're hoping to achieve with the binding?

Matt Small - Microsoft Escalation Engineer - Forum Moderator
    If my reply answers your question, please mark this post as answered.

NOTE: If I ask for code, please provide something that I can drop directly into a project and run (including XAML), or an actual application project. I'm trying to help a lot of people, so I don't have time to figure out weird snippets with undefined objects and unknown namespaces.

Wednesday, May 14, 2014 12:45 PM
  • foo.color = "red"

should make 

foo.colorDisplay === "Blue"

foo.colorCss === "color:red"

setting foo.color = "blue"

should make 

foo.colorDisplay === "Blue"

foo.colorCss === "color:blue"

Wednesday, May 14, 2014 12:51 PM
  • I'm really unclear on what this has to do with binding.  But if you provide getters and setters with your object, this is easily done (this is pseudocode):

var foo = {
        color:purple,
        get colorCSS() {
            return "color:" + color;

}, 

get colorDisplay() {
            return UpperCaseFunction(color);
        }

}

Matt Small - Microsoft Escalation Engineer - Forum Moderator
    If my reply answers your question, please mark this post as answered.

NOTE: If I ask for code, please provide something that I can drop directly into a project and run (including XAML), or an actual application project. I'm trying to help a lot of people, so I don't have time to figure out weird snippets with undefined objects and unknown namespaces.

Wednesday, May 14, 2014 7:17 PM
  • That is the easy part. I want the all properties be bindable (to UI). So whenever you change "color", the UI changes too.
    Wednesday, May 14, 2014 8:12 PM