MS ACRYLIC RRS feed

• Question

•  

I've seen Creature House Expression, I've used Expression 3 Preview, I like the MS Acrylic the most.

I was waiting for Acrylic to be available, but it never happened. I don't like Expression Design, I want the features of Acrylic.

Acrylic will never be available.. ever.

Can I purchase a license for the Acrylic Beta Version or maybe a later version so I can use it.

It's been a long time I know, but as much as I tried to appreciate the newer Expression Design, it's just not the same thing.

Wednesday, February 23, 2011 10:27 AM

Answers

• Ok, I'm speaking unofficially now. My opinion is that there isn't enough public interest in Expression Design to warrant the work it would take to make Design the program we all want Design to be. As you know, Expression 3 is the predecessor program to Expression Design. As such, the code upon which Design is written, is very, very old code. In order to give us the Acrylic version we want, and make Design compatible with it's companion program, Expression Blend, Design would need to be completely re-written from the ground up. So, again, there just isn't enough public interest in Design to warrant the work it would take. It's a shame, isn't it? I can't tell you what it would mean to me to see Design reach it's Expression 3/Acrylic potential.

Annie
    • Edited by Annie FordModerator Thursday, February 24, 2011 3:34 AM typo
    • Marked as answer by guerven Saturday, February 26, 2011 7:39 AM
    Thursday, February 24, 2011 3:30 AM
  • Sorry, but Acrylic won't be available for download or purchase. It was a great program, though.

Annie
    Wednesday, February 23, 2011 6:27 PM

All replies

• Sorry, but Acrylic won't be available for download or purchase. It was a great program, though.

Annie
    Wednesday, February 23, 2011 6:27 PM
  • Yeah, that's what I thought. I still have a copy of acrylic, I can use it if I set the date less than 2005. But that would also violate the terms of use so I don't want to do it and it's troublesome as well.

Any way to petition for this product? It's been a long time already.I'll pay for a working acrylic than the Expression Web Package. Now I'm switching between Illustrator and InDesign by Adobe. I tried Expression Design just now, and no, I still don't like it. (I Hate InDesign).

I still try E-Design though. ... oh acrylic, where art thou?

Thursday, February 24, 2011 1:24 AM
  • Ok, I'm speaking unofficially now. My opinion is that there isn't enough public interest in Expression Design to warrant the work it would take to make Design the program we all want Design to be. As you know, Expression 3 is the predecessor program to Expression Design. As such, the code upon which Design is written, is very, very old code. In order to give us the Acrylic version we want, and make Design compatible with it's companion program, Expression Blend, Design would need to be completely re-written from the ground up. So, again, there just isn't enough public interest in Design to warrant the work it would take. It's a shame, isn't it? I can't tell you what it would mean to me to see Design reach it's Expression 3/Acrylic potential.

Annie
    • Edited by Annie FordModerator Thursday, February 24, 2011 3:34 AM typo
    • Marked as answer by guerven Saturday, February 26, 2011 7:39 AM
    Thursday, February 24, 2011 3:30 AM
  • I just agree with you Annie Acrylic was such a good program I still use the old E3 from time to time in school we still use the adobe programs instead of expression studio so for me no need to buy the microsoft studio I bought the first version I would have spent money for the acrylic greetings
    Thursday, February 24, 2011 1:47 PM
  • E3 is a classic! I'm still using it. I hope I'm not violating anything. Acrylic added more image manipulation capabilities so one can do vector and bitmap in the same IDE. It's just awesome.

Friday, February 25, 2011 10:00 AM
  • You do have plugin capability.  There is an eliminate white plugin that works. I have used Autofx plugins, and for the exceptions of loading a mask. Typical of a vector program, you don't have pixel selection. There is erase blending. It is non destructive, and I use it in ways other programs cannot.  I have spent many years developing my resources. If there is something I need, I just make it. It is a never ending story.

There are a few drawing operations that I cannot do, and need another application. There is a connection back and forth, and I need to continue with older versions.

Rich 

Friday, February 25, 2011 11:19 AM
  • You're not violating anything, guerven. E# is and always will be free.

Annie
    Friday, February 25, 2011 8:08 PM
  • Hi Germaine!

Annie
    Friday, February 25, 2011 8:08 PM
  • Annie,

Dmitrys spiral generator works with E3.  You cannot drag it into the program, but the EPS export works.

Rich

Saturday, February 26, 2011 4:49 AM
  • Annie and all,

It seems there are still a lot of people using E3. Do we have a community for this application? If I start one do you think it will thrive somehow?". I was hoping brother MS will notice it and give E3 and Acrylic the attention they deserve.

A site for video tutorials, it'll kick ass .... I think.  E3 is free anyway. :D

If people will notice it (speaking about the E3), and realize there is a whole set of Expression Family out there.. then maybe the new E-Family will also get an attention  boost and have more resources channeled to it ;as Annie said "see Design reach it's Expression 3/Acrylic potential".

- guerven

Saturday, February 26, 2011 7:36 AM
  • Readers! You can get it from this url

http://www.microsoft.com/expression/expression-design/Default.aspx

Saturday, February 26, 2011 7:38 AM
  • Annie,

Can I distribute the Expression3 Installer as in have it hosted in a server for downloading?

or do I have to redirect people the the URL mentioned above?

Cheers!

guerven

Saturday, February 26, 2011 7:43 AM
  • Saturday, February 26, 2011 10:47 AM
  • Quote:

Ok, I'm speaking unofficially now. My opinion is that there isn't enough public interest in Expression Design to warrant the work it would take to make Design the program we all want Design to be. As you know, Expression 3 is the predecessor program to Expression Design. As such, the code upon which Design is written, is very, very old code. In order to give us the Acrylic version we want, and make Design compatible with it's companion program, Expression Blend, Design would need to be completely re-written from the ground up.

Unquote

Hello Annie:

I thought I'd stop by to see what's going on in the Expression Design forum and was greeted by the above quote.  It both makes me sad and concerns me.

It makes me sad because I really like the ease and power of Expression Design 4 (I've used all of the Ex Design programs) and feel as if it is an excellent vector graphics program.

It concerns me because I've been heavily vested in MS web and code products for years now and have begun to develop Win Phone 7 apps.  Although I am primarily using Visual Studio 2010 as my Win Phone 7 development platform, I'm doing that to gain a solid base understanding of the code structure.  It's the Expression Design XAML code base and its ability to communicate with Expression Blend that excites me about developing apps for the Win Phone 7 platform. There are so many things that can be done design-wise between the two that can be used for, well, almost anything, but for this instance the Win Phone 7, that I'd hate to see development of Expression Design put on a burner because of lack of interest.

Also the lack of interest you stated about Expression Design gives me pause for concern.  Why is this?  As I view  software and hardware products that can take advantage of the Expression Design/Expression Blend/Silverlight/XAML platform, I can't think of any reason NOT to be excited and interested in the Design product.  Why is there this lack of interest in Ex Design that might be diverting R&D funds away from such a great tool?  Isn't marketing  raising product awareness sufficiently or is it something else?

Peace,

Phroneo
    Sunday, February 27, 2011 7:23 AM
  • Phorneo,

The "interest" i think is being diverted to another major MS product.

Maybe the New Expression Family is just too much. Speaking for myself, all I wanted was a Vector Graphics Application. But because Ex-Design and family was much much more than that, it has risen to the category of (Web) Development Platform. At this level it is up against Visual Studio. 

So instead of competing for the next american idol, Expression was suddenly competing in what seems like an election for Presidency.

-guerven

Tuesday, March 1, 2011 2:31 PM
  • I tried defing two parallel lines as a stroke. This worked and I was able to apply a Megumi embroidery stroke to them as effect lines.

Rich

Tuesday, March 1, 2011 4:43 PM
  • I have been trying Akvis plugins with E3 as a host. I did a psudo HDR, an image separation and an oil painting effect.

Rich

Thursday, March 24, 2011 10:10 PM