Confused about rdlc report & data sources in web app project RRS feed

• Question

• User-1133344939 posted

Hi

I'm learning about reporting in VS2008 (no we haven't moved to 2010 yet!), and I like the idea of rdlc files because it seems you can deploy the report as part of a web app rather than mess around deploying it to a report server. Is this correct?

We develop tiered apps that use LINQ to SQL, and the .dbml and LINQ queries are in a separate project to the web application. Also, depending on whether we are developing an internet or intranet web app, it will either reference that project directly, or call its methods via a WCF service. However I can't seem to hook up my rdlc to either. From what I've read, this could be because we create "web application" projects and not "web site" projects. So my question is, is it possible to create an rdlc report within a "web application" project and have it use either a business object or a WCF service as its data source?

If I try and create a data source in my web app project, it simply creates an XSD, and don't know what to do with this! If I go through the report wizard, all I can do is choose a database data source (i.e. from what's listed in the VS2008 server explorer) - there is no option to choose an "object" or "service" data source, like you can when the rdlc resides in a report project.

Many thanks in advance

Andy

Wednesday, February 16, 2011 8:21 AM

All replies

• User1471008070 posted

You are correcly, RDL is server side processing report, it is created by SQL Server Business Intelligence Development Studio (BIDS). After designing the report, you should deploy it onto the reporting server; we can access the report through report server or report manager. So data processing and connection to data base happen on the Reporting server. But in the RDLC file which is client side processing model, we can see that C is just Client ,we can integrate the report into our own web application system which contains many function modules besides report part. So it is very flexible at integration system. The connection to data bass occurred on the client side and all the processing is on the Client side so you need to pass the data set to the report viewer. RDLC file can be created by Visual studio. It is also possible to create RDLC report within a "web application" project and have it use either a business object or a WCF service as its data source.

For more information, please see: http://blogs.msdn.com/b/sqlforum/archive/2011/01/03/walkthrough-working-reportviewer-with-a-complex-business-object-with-a-nested-generic-list-type-property-as-data-source-for-local-reports.aspx 

Thanks,
    Challen Fu

Friday, February 18, 2011 6:06 AM
  • User-1133344939 posted

Hi

The problem I have is that when I go through the Report wizard, the step "Select the Data Source" lists objects from various namespaces such as System, System.Data.Linq, and a few other assemblies that the project references. But it doesn't list any LINQ entities (or other classes for that matter) from my own projects. If I click the wizard's button "Add Data Source" it just lets me select an existing connection string or create a new one. Nowhere in the wizard gives me the option to select an "object" or "service" data source. The only time I see this is when adding a RDLC to a winforms project or a class library project, but not in a web application project.

Regards

Andrew

Friday, February 18, 2011 6:27 AM
  • User-747325234 posted

I'm having the exact same problem and have not been able to find the answer yet. There was something I read about the business object class having to have at least one public property that returned a system type. It didn't make much sense and so far nothing has worked for me. It seems like a problem with the add dataset wizard but who knows?

Thursday, September 1, 2011 7:22 PM
  • User-1588184274 posted

"The only time I see this is when adding a RDLC to a winforms project or a class library project, but not in a web application project."

yes this is the same for me, just with class library projects i can see the "Lets you choose objects that can later be used to generate data-bound controls."

Monday, November 19, 2012 10:46 AM