none
Creating a custom publish profile in Visual Studio 2015 on Windows 10 causes an devenv.exe app hang

Question

• Hi,

I have written an ASPX application using Visual Studio 2015 Professional on a Windows 10 64 bit O/S. I am trying to now publish it for the first time and when I try to create the new custom profile (Build -> Publish -> Custom), the application just hangs. The application event logs show an "application hang" error with the following message: "The program devenv.exe version 14.0.25123.0 stopped interacting with Windows and was closed. To see if more information about the problem is available, check the problem history in the Security and Maintenance control panel". As per some other posts, I started the process with logging enabled (devenve.exe /log path\name), but the logs did not show any errors.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Tuesday, April 19, 2016 3:20 PM

All replies

• Hi Martin McKerrell,

Do you have installed the Update 2 for your Visual Studio 2015? If not, please download and install it from below link.

https://www.visualstudio.com/en-us/news/vs2015-update2-vs.aspx

If installed, since there doesn't has any errors in your log file, please check the Windows Event Viewer to check whether there has any error message for devenv.exe. Then please share the Event log here.

In addition, please check whether there has any updates for your Windows 10 from All Programs -> Settings -> Update & security -> Windows Updates. Please make sure your Windows 10 has installed all updates.

Best Regards,
    Weiwei

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.

Click HERE to participate the survey.

Wednesday, April 20, 2016 8:21 AM
  • Hi Weiwei Cai - I have confirmed that I have all updates for Windows and VS2015 installed, but the problem still exists. Note that I have also attempted to repair, uninstall and re-install VS2015, with no success. As with creating the profile, the devenv.exe process locks up and the application event log includes an "apphang" error for it.
    Wednesday, April 20, 2016 1:09 PM
  • I tried creating the custom publish profile again this morning while on hold for customer support. After about 45 minutes (yes, that is how long I was on hold), the create publish profile dialog moved to the second step. I am not sure why it takes 45 minutes for VS2015 to complete step 1 (naming the profile). Perhaps someone should look into that.

BTW - clicking on the link to participate in the survey redirects to a "page not found" error handling page. I wonder why...

Wednesday, April 20, 2016 1:42 PM
  • Hi Martin McKerrell,

Please create a new default ASP.NET application without any custom code and then try publish it with custom profile, whether it also has this issue?

If yes, the problem is related to your project. Please create a new project with the same name, and then copy the original project files to the new project one by one to confirm which one causes this issue.

If no, the problem more related to your Visual Studio and computer environment. Please try change another machine to install this version of Visual Studio, which can help us make sure whether this problem caused by machine environment.

Best Regards,
    Weiwei

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.

Thursday, April 21, 2016 4:58 AM
  • Hi Martin McKerrell,

Do you have tried above steps and what's the test result? Please tell us what do you have done. I will wait for your response.

Best Regards,
    Weiwei

Monday, April 25, 2016 10:43 AM