SQL Server Replication - Southware Vision File System to SQL Server RRS feed

• Question

• We have a system using Southware (Vision File System Format) and want to replicate this data to SQL Server. We are looking at a homegrown solution, but there has to be some way to do this with SQL Server or some third party software package that can manage the replication between a Southware (Vision File System) database and a SQL Server Database. Would anyone be able to help out and explain how this might be done or some tools that can used to do this so we might not have to design a system from ground up to do this (which we are not opposed to doing, but it just seems we cannot be the first company to want to do this).
    Monday, October 27, 2014 4:55 PM

All replies

• Hi DarkSideOfTheForce,

As far as I know, no SQL Server tool can be used to replicate data from Southware database to SQL Server database.

However, based on my research, you can use the Southware Database Director tool to store or replicate your data in SQL Server database format. For more details, please review this article: SouthWare Database Director. And I would recommend you contact the Southware providers directly for suggestions based on your requirement as Microsoft cannot make any representations regarding the quality, safety, or suitability of the third party tools.

In addition, for SQL Server replication, it is a set of technologies for copying and distributing data and database objects from one SQL Server database to another and then synchronizing between databases to maintain consistency. For more information, please review this article: SQL Server Replication.

Thanks,
    Lydia Zhang

Tuesday, October 28, 2014 7:17 AM
  • I understand SQL Server itself can't pull from non-SQL Server entities, but was hoping something Microsoft could tackle this and didn't know if the Microsoft Sync Framework might allow for this?  I also looked into the Database Director prior to this post, but their website makes it seem like they might no longer be in business as it was "copyrighted in 2004" and doesn't seem to have been updated since then, which makes me a little nervous. 
    Wednesday, October 29, 2014 12:12 PM