none
Visual Studio 2013 Text Visualizer Stopped Working after installing Visual Studio 2015

Question

• Hi, The text visualizer that came installed in Visual Studio 2013 was working fine until I installed Visual Studio 2015.  I am unable to use Visual Studio 2015 due to a 3rd party tool.  Anyway, it appears that VS 2015 has modified my VS 2013 install... so, now the text visualizer displays "{System.Text.StringBuilder}" as the text when displaying the string builder object. In the past it would display the text.  Does anyone know how I can reset or recover the text visualizer?  I appreciate any help.

Thanks

Monday, December 21, 2015 10:19 PM

Answers

• Hi brcbrc,

Could you share me a simple sample about your project code? For example, if you just create a simple "hello world" app, could you visit the text visualizer?

I have the windows machine which installed VS2013 and VS2015, I could visit the result like this screen shot.

If it worked well, just the specific app has this issue, please share me the project code, so I could really repro this issue.

But if it still has this issue with the above sample, I think we would think about the VS Environment.

Please install the VS2013 update 5, VS2015 update 1. As you said that you could use your VS2015 due to the 3rd party tool, could you disable/remove this 3rd party tool, and then debug it again using the VS2013 and VS2015.

Maybe you could repair your VS2013, and then test it again.

Best Regards,

Jack

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

• Marked as answer by brcbrc Tuesday, December 22, 2015 6:26 PM
    Tuesday, December 22, 2015 11:10 AM

All replies

• Hi brcbrc,

Could you share me a simple sample about your project code? For example, if you just create a simple "hello world" app, could you visit the text visualizer?

I have the windows machine which installed VS2013 and VS2015, I could visit the result like this screen shot.

If it worked well, just the specific app has this issue, please share me the project code, so I could really repro this issue.

But if it still has this issue with the above sample, I think we would think about the VS Environment.

Please install the VS2013 update 5, VS2015 update 1. As you said that you could use your VS2015 due to the 3rd party tool, could you disable/remove this 3rd party tool, and then debug it again using the VS2013 and VS2015.

Maybe you could repair your VS2013, and then test it again.

Best Regards,

Jack

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Tuesday, December 22, 2015 11:10 AM
  • Hi Jack, Thanks for the response. Running repair on VS 2013 did not work.  So I tried install VS 2015 Update 5 and that fixed the problem.

I appreciate your recommendation... especially since it worked.  :)  

Thanks!

• Unmarked as answer by brcbrc Tuesday, December 22, 2015 6:26 PM
    • Marked as answer by brcbrc Sunday, July 10, 2016 8:33 PM
    • Unmarked as answer by brcbrc Sunday, July 10, 2016 8:33 PM
    Tuesday, December 22, 2015 6:26 PM