Windows 7 x64: CSIDL_INTERNET_CACHE points to location that is not expected RRS feed

• General discussion

• Hi,

I am writing an app that monitors for a specific file in the CSIDL_INTERNET_CACHE location.

I have found that on Windows 7 64-bit the location it is saving to is in a different location

Expected: C:\users\[username]\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5\

Experienced: C:\users\[username]\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\Temporary Internet Files\Low\Content.IE5\

Is there a reason for this? What items will be stored in Low versus not Low locations?

Thanks,
    Dan

Software Developer
    Monday, July 13, 2009 10:41 PM

All replies

• The reason CSIDL's exist is so that these paths can be moved around.  It shouldn't surprise you if things have changed.

My guess as to the Low directory is that it is probably used for when IE is run with low rights (default).  The non-low cache is probably for if you run IE elevated.  Keeping things seperate probably has some security benefit.

Tuesday, July 14, 2009 6:30 PM
  • I can see why it might exist with security reasons. Can MSFT confirm this?

Software Developer
    Wednesday, July 15, 2009 2:35 AM
  • It exists because when IE is running in Protected Mode it has an Integrity Level of Low, which would prevent it writing to any disk location not also marked with an integrity level of Low.
    Thursday, July 23, 2009 9:08 AM