Is it allowed to use cartoon images in app background?

Question

• hi... I am developing a kids app where I am planning to use cartoon images(tom and jerry, angry birds, cars etc) taken from internet as my app background. Is it allowed to use those images in windows 8 apps? Thanks in advance.

Saturday, April 27, 2013 8:35 AM

Answers

• Are you asking whether it's okay to use a background image? Yes, it is.

Are you asking whether you can pull random images from the Internet and use them? No, it's not. Those images are under copyright and it's illegal to use them without permission.

And the examples you cite belong to big companies with lots and lots of expensive lawyers whose sole purpose in life is finding and punishing copyright infringement.

Rebecca M. Riordan

• Marked as answer by smsagar Saturday, April 27, 2013 12:20 PM
    Saturday, April 27, 2013 11:11 AM

All replies

• Are you asking whether it's okay to use a background image? Yes, it is.

Are you asking whether you can pull random images from the Internet and use them? No, it's not. Those images are under copyright and it's illegal to use them without permission.

And the examples you cite belong to big companies with lots and lots of expensive lawyers whose sole purpose in life is finding and punishing copyright infringement.

Rebecca M. Riordan

• Marked as answer by smsagar Saturday, April 27, 2013 12:20 PM
    Saturday, April 27, 2013 11:11 AM
  • That answers my question. Thanks a lot.

Saturday, April 27, 2013 12:23 PM
  • Just an Extension to your Answer..if you purchase Stock Images with proper licences then you would be allowed to use the images in your own app!!

Regards Hefin Dsouza

Saturday, May 04, 2013 5:23 PM