installing sql server 2008 on the same server as sql server 2005 RRS feed

• Question

• Dear Members,

I am trying to install SQL Server 2008 on the same server which has SQL Server 2005. During the installation it will ask me where to install the files for the software, masterDB,etc.

Should this be pointed to the same location where the SQL Server 2005 files are located as I am actually planning to upgrade the existing SQL server 005 or should I point them to a different location so that SQL Server 2008 and 2005 can coexist on the same server?

Later on I would then be able to migrate using the copy database wizard.

Cheers,

S Mitra.

Friday, September 10, 2010 11:15 AM

Answers

• Hello S. Mitra,

I would say it is better to keep database files of each SQL Server version on separate locations. It is good idea for the side-by-side migration process you are planning, because in case something is wrong with the migration, the original database files created with SQL Server 2005 will be intact.

You can use detach and attach method also to upgrade your databases, but once you detach them from the SQL Server 2005 instance, make a copy of the database files to the location where the SQL Server 2008 database files are located, and attach those files to the SQL Server 2008 instance.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms189625(v=SQL.100).aspx

Hope this helps.   

Regards,

Alberto Morillo
    SQLCoffee.com

• Marked as answer by Keshav Ramarao Wednesday, September 15, 2010 5:47 PM
    Friday, September 10, 2010 12:00 PM

All replies

• Hello S. Mitra,

I would say it is better to keep database files of each SQL Server version on separate locations. It is good idea for the side-by-side migration process you are planning, because in case something is wrong with the migration, the original database files created with SQL Server 2005 will be intact.

You can use detach and attach method also to upgrade your databases, but once you detach them from the SQL Server 2005 instance, make a copy of the database files to the location where the SQL Server 2008 database files are located, and attach those files to the SQL Server 2008 instance.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms189625(v=SQL.100).aspx

Hope this helps.   

Regards,

Alberto Morillo
    SQLCoffee.com

• Marked as answer by Keshav Ramarao Wednesday, September 15, 2010 5:47 PM
    Friday, September 10, 2010 12:00 PM
  • Dear Alberto,

Thank you very much. Your answer cleared the doubts I had.

Kind Regards,

Suhas Mitra

Friday, September 10, 2010 1:42 PM