Questions about updating device metadata in the field.

Question

• Hi all,

I am trying to find out some answer or possible ways to update device app by using Exclusive apps process (on WEG_Apps_v1.6.pdf). The following are my question:

1. Our device app needs to access Microsoft "DeviceAccess" interface. Can an exclusive app do that like regular device apps?

2. Our device app needs device metadata on the system to be able to access Microsoft “DeviceAccess” interface. How can we update the device metadata for our device app on a production system that is already in the market? Is there a way to do field updates for device metadata?

3. We also have a UMDF driver component for the device app, which normally comes with the driver package. How can we install that on the system that is already in the market?

4. Can we create a standalone installer that will both update the device metadata, as well as install the UMDF driver on existing systems?

Tuesday, March 18, 2014 6:15 PM

All replies

• I've asked one of our hardware experts to look at this post.

Matt Small - Microsoft Escalation Engineer - Forum Moderator
    If my reply answers your question, please mark this post as answered.

NOTE: If I ask for code, please provide something that I can drop directly into a project and run (including XAML), or an actual application project. I'm trying to help a lot of people, so I don't have time to figure out weird snippets with undefined objects and unknown namespaces.

Thursday, March 20, 2014 1:18 PM
  • Is the device internal or external to the PC?

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Thursday, March 20, 2014 11:36 PM
  • It's a internal device. Thanks.
    Tuesday, March 25, 2014 3:44 AM
  • These links should be helpful:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/hardware/dn265152(v=vs.85).aspx

http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/p/?LinkId=306693

Best Regards - Eric

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Wednesday, April 9, 2014 11:35 PM