none
converting c and c++ code that uses NTWDBLIB (dblib) to be compatible with TLS 1.2 RRS feed

• Question

• We are a small software company in NYC. We have a couple of large companies that use a combination of web and client applications. We use ntwdblib to communicate with Microsoft SQL Server in our client server application. We are a Microsoft only platform. Recently we have been told by our clients that we will need to support TLS 1.2 on their SQL server. We are already fully compatible with TLS 1.2 on our web system however our old legacy product built with Microsoft client application tools does not support TLS 1.2. It is our understanding that ntwdblib has been deprecated long ago and that we should rewrite the db protocol which would be a big development effort for a our team.  We are just starting to do research to see if there is a set of libraries that can support TLS 1.2 and do that with a minimum development effort.   Does anybody have any suggestions for us?   

Monday, May 20, 2019 8:58 PM

All replies

• You have had more than 15 years to rewrite that application to use a more modern API. But in the long run it can be impossible to postpone it over and over again, and TLS may have sealed your fate.

I have not tested DB-Library with TLS 1.2, but I would not expect it to work.

Erland Sommarskog, SQL Server MVP, esquel@sommarskog.se

Monday, May 20, 2019 9:47 PM
  • Hi Mark,

I found a post which is talking about TLS 1.2/1.3 implementation, you could refer to it to help with development.

Single C file TLS 1.2/1.3 implementation, using tomcrypt as crypto library

Hope above is useful to you.

Best Regards,

Will

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, May 21, 2019 3:21 AM
  • Hi Will,

Thank you for your response.  We will take a look at tomcrypt.

Tuesday, May 21, 2019 4:13 PM
  • Hi Will,

Thank you for your response.  We will take a look at tomcrypt.

OK. I'm glad to be of help to you.

Best Regards,

Will

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Friday, May 24, 2019 7:33 AM
  • May I know what is the status now, we face the similar issue as you have, can Tomcrypt work?

MSDN Deadlock issue

Monday, September 2, 2019 5:47 AM