Why Does Metro IE use more RAM than Desktop IE?

Question

• I just noticed that the Metro IE uses about twice as much RAM as the Desktop IE. This is strange, Can anyone explain why? Someone from Microsoft should know this or at least look into this.
    Sunday, September 18, 2011 6:21 PM

Answers

• I don't know if this is the reason, because I don't know your exact scenario, but it is possible that the reason is that the Metro IE is a 64-bit app and the desktop IE is a 32-bit app.  64-bit binaries are somewhat larger because they have access to more address space.

Having said that, I don't know if that difference is enough to cause twice as much RAM usage. 

• Marked as answer by Godwinium Sunday, September 18, 2011 7:05 PM
    Sunday, September 18, 2011 6:38 PM

All replies

• I don't know if this is the reason, because I don't know your exact scenario, but it is possible that the reason is that the Metro IE is a 64-bit app and the desktop IE is a 32-bit app.  64-bit binaries are somewhat larger because they have access to more address space.

Having said that, I don't know if that difference is enough to cause twice as much RAM usage. 

• Marked as answer by Godwinium Sunday, September 18, 2011 7:05 PM
    Sunday, September 18, 2011 6:38 PM
  • You're right. After changing the Desktop IE to the 64bit version they now use about the same memory. I just thought Metro IE would consume much less ya know, since these Metro style apps are 'Modern'.
    Sunday, September 18, 2011 7:04 PM