AutoLogon Lost After Sysprep RRS feed

• Question

• I am currently evaluating Windows Embedded Standard 7.

I have built a system (which I am running under VMWare Workstation 10). I am trying to build a system that will automatically log on to an administrator account. If any of you have Sean Limings Book Prof Guide to WES 7, it is cretaed in ICE as per the example in section 4.11.2. This worked fine and when booting the system logs into the admin account automatically (named WES in the example).

I now want to sysprep this image for mass deployment. I want the user accounts created to remain, the system to still auto logon to the admin account (named WES) , but of course the computer name (and SID's) should be different for each system. After sysprep I ran in to a couple of issues, firstly I kept getting prompted for a new user name, this of course will create a new local account which I do not want, I got round this by, after running sysprep and selecting 'quit' rather than shutdown, I then added the key below to the registry :

HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\OOBE\UnattendCreatedUser REG_DWORD    0x1

This prevented the username prompt at OOBE and when straight to the product key entry (I have not purchased keys yet)

The problem now is that the autologon to the admin account (WES) no longer works, when the system boots I am prompted for the password for the WES user.

Can anyone advise what I am doing wrong and how I can retain the autologon functionality for each system.

Thank you for reading this far and in advance of your help.

Steve Wiggins

Tuesday, October 14, 2014 2:12 PM

Answers

• Look at using a sysprep unattended file, which is discussed in chapter 7. The unattended file is an answer file with only settings. You can prevent the request for user account and you can set the autologin.

www.annabooks.com / www.seanliming.com / Book Author - Pro Guide to WE8S, Pro Guide to WES 7, Pro Guide to POS for .NET

• Marked as answer by S P Wiggins Thursday, October 16, 2014 3:17 PM
    Tuesday, October 14, 2014 3:06 PM

All replies

• Look at using a sysprep unattended file, which is discussed in chapter 7. The unattended file is an answer file with only settings. You can prevent the request for user account and you can set the autologin.

www.annabooks.com / www.seanliming.com / Book Author - Pro Guide to WE8S, Pro Guide to WES 7, Pro Guide to POS for .NET

• Marked as answer by S P Wiggins Thursday, October 16, 2014 3:17 PM
    Tuesday, October 14, 2014 3:06 PM
  • Thanks for such a quick response Sean. I will take a look at this chapter...hadn't got that far yet!

And thanks for such an invaluable book.

Regards

Steve

Tuesday, October 14, 2014 3:16 PM
  • IMO the prompt for user name comes from the "Welcome center" when Windows starts up the first time. You can skip this by setting "SkipUserOObe" (Pass 7) to "True" in your unattend answer file ().

Regarding the "automatic login" - I don't know the book - I did folloing: Configure the "Autologon" setting in the unattend answer file for your required passes (possible in Pass 4/5/7). Note the "LogonCount" setting below "Autologon". I'm not sure what happens the setting is ommit, but I think that the "LogonCount" will be set to "1" by default.

AutoLogonCount (and it's counter part AutoAdminLogon) is stored in "HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon" in the registry, and becomes decremented on each login. If it becomes zero, AutoAdminLogon becomes zero too, and automatic logon is disabled.

This behaviour can be "stopped" by deleting the "AutoLogonCount" entry from the registry (but keep the AutoAdminLogon).

Best regards,

Willi K.

Tuesday, October 14, 2014 3:23 PM