Calculated Cross-site lookup RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I have 2 sites. SiteA and SiteB.
    SiteA has a list called ListA with 3 columns(FirstName, LastName and email address).
    SiteB has 5 columns (FirstName, LastName, email address, Project Name and Project Status)

When I want to enter FirstName in ListB, I want this information to be looked-up in ListA and auto-fill/auto-populate LastName and Email Address in ListB by doing a lookup in ListA.

How may I do this calculated cross-site lookup?

It is not possible OOTB so I am happy to purchase a tool.

Thank you

Wednesday, October 28, 2009 1:11 PM

Answers

• Hi,

This feature will be available in SharePoint 2010, but I assume you need it now. It is not so hard to create a solution for that and that is one of the "projects" I'm just working on in my spare time. It is built on a custom lookup field type. What time frame do you need that? Immediately or it is OK to wait a few weeks?

If it is urgent for you you can create it yourself. The most important part is to create the read-only lookup field type that get their lookup properties (site, list and item ID) from the "master" lookup field.

Peter
    • Marked as answer by Nmap2010 Wednesday, October 28, 2009 4:22 PM
    Wednesday, October 28, 2009 2:15 PM

All replies

• Hi,

This feature will be available in SharePoint 2010, but I assume you need it now. It is not so hard to create a solution for that and that is one of the "projects" I'm just working on in my spare time. It is built on a custom lookup field type. What time frame do you need that? Immediately or it is OK to wait a few weeks?

If it is urgent for you you can create it yourself. The most important part is to create the read-only lookup field type that get their lookup properties (site, list and item ID) from the "master" lookup field.

Peter
    • Marked as answer by Nmap2010 Wednesday, October 28, 2009 4:22 PM
    Wednesday, October 28, 2009 2:15 PM
  • Thank you for your answer. I have just found a 3rd party tool which meets my requirements. I do not know if I am allowed to write the name of the product here.
    Good to hear that this feature will be available in SharePoint 2010.
    Wednesday, October 28, 2009 4:22 PM
  • Hi,

Thanks for your feedback. Yes, I think you can write the name of the tool here. I think that would be pretty useful for us all.

Peter
    Wednesday, October 28, 2009 4:32 PM
  • Hi,

It is Cascaded Lookup tool from Sharepointboost 
    http://www.sharepointboost.com/cascaded-lookup.html

Regards
    Thursday, October 29, 2009 10:26 AM
  • Hi,

Just want to ask how could I create a custom code for the cross-site lookup using sharepoint 2010, my Objective are the following:

• In SiteA List1 and SiteB List2 I need to associate a column for my lookup?
    • In SiteA List1 I need to associate to two or more sites?
    • In SiteA List1 or SiteB List2 I could add new columns to each site and It will reflect to the associated (e.g. SiteA list1 (column: Field1) > SiteB list2 (column:Field2) ) list?

Thank you in advance.

Monday, October 18, 2010 10:46 PM