none
.NET Framework future releases RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

With .NET core release, I would like to understand if there are going to be future releases of .NET framework (e.g. 4.7) for Windows or will it be only .NET core releases.

Regards,

Anubhav.

Thursday, October 20, 2016 3:15 AM

All replies

• Hi Anubhav,

Since We cannot comment on future products. You can submit your own developer feature requests at http://wpdev.uservoice.com

Best regards,

Kristin

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Thursday, October 20, 2016 3:27 AM
  • All I can say is that there will be new versions when there is new feature added. (You can see from the second link that there is placeholder vNext on the charts, so 4.6.2 will not be the last one)

Say, the team responsible for .NET framework released .NET v3.0 when they added LINQ, and they released .NET v3.5 when they added WPF/WCF/WF. All these additional libraries are built on top of .NET v2.0.

Given starting this month, the small updates will be delivered through monthly rollups, that means you can expect all new versions later will be because of new features, not SP like ones.

AFAIK, currently they're busy settling parts of .NET Standard library (.NET Core being part of it) and there is no new version of .NET framework cooking. And I believe probably the future version of Visual Studio ".NET framework support" will be released under the version number of ".NET Standard" instead of individual .Net component versions to make application building experience across platforms more consistant.

• Edited by cheong00Editor Thursday, October 20, 2016 8:10 AM
    • Proposed as answer by Kristin Xie Monday, October 24, 2016 8:25 AM
    Thursday, October 20, 2016 8:05 AM
    Answerer